A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: flash inside flash

Hybrid View

flash inside flash

Hi there.

I have produced a few flash games and now I'd like to organise them all inside one single flash site. The problem is that if I import the games to my main movie they stop working because of the _root.paths. Is there anyway to get around that? Maybe loading each single swf externally and embedding them to my main movie?

Load them into _levels instead, from your main swf. This way you save a lot of potential download time for the user as only the games he sects will be loaded.

-Pelle Piano
    // Image Gallery
    www.studiobild.com
    // Photo Blog
    http://talesofthepixel.blogspot.com

it doesn't work

I have tried that, but it does not solve the problem of the _root path. I can upload the movies to _level5 for example, but the _root will be always the main movie timeline, so the game gets 'confused'... It's a hierarchy problem; I guess I should take that into consideration when programming the games.

I spoke to another programmer and he said he had the same problem when doing his site, so he had to reprogram all the features he was attaching to it, or open them on another browser window.

I used to program in flash 5, I thought they had sorted this problem out on Flash MX...

Levels only exist in the Flash Player and is totally independent of references to the >-root.

The _root can only refer to a timeline in inside the swf with the action.

Loading into a _level requires..

loadMovieNum("gamename.swf",5);

Maybe you have references to a specific _level in your games.

-Pelle Piano
    // Image Gallery
    www.studiobild.com
    // Photo Blog
    http://talesofthepixel.blogspot.com

Banned
    If really loading on levels, rather than container clips (as you may still be doing), then references to _root shouldn't cause any problems, because they refer to the root level of the loaded movie itself, and not (as it is with container clips) to the root level of the main movie. To target the main movie's timeline from movies loaded on other levels, you'd have to use _level0 rather than _root.

Post your actual line of code you're using to load your movies on other levels!

still not sorted

I've been trying to sort this problem out for days. I realized the problem was because the game I was testing was actualy done in flash 4, so I had refferences to / instead of _root. Apparently flash doesn't like those refferences when I use the loadMovieNum. That's ok because I can always rewrite everything on _root structure instead.

I have a new problem though. The movie boundaries are not obeyed when using loadMovieNum. My objects that were supposed to fly into the game screen are now appearing in the bigger movie. I tried to mask them with no success. Also, loadMovieNum does not let me position the game at the right place. Any suggestions to correct that?