A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: dynamic hyperlink

dynamic hyperlink

Hi, I'm using dynamic text and have formatted my text in html and am using hte code in flash. Esay enough. Anyway, everything works but my hyperlinks. Was wondering if flash doesn't support html hyperlinks or if it needs an additional line of code or something. Anyone know how to have hyperlinks within dynamic text boxes?

Vij'n
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.

Well, I know this works:

<*A HREF='http://www.flashbax.com'>My site</A>//no *

Are you using a dynamic text box with the text in the box, or createTextField?

actually it's a mailto. The text isn't in the box I'm using html=true. It basically says ; expected when I include html tags for the mailto: in essence here's my code :

_root.profile.html=true
    _root.profile.htmlText="<br>Friends Group.</p><p>After attending University Magazine. </p><p>After a few PopCulture. <a href="mailto:Martine@groupemilagro.com">Martine@gr oupemilagro.com</a> </p><p>Sonia Wafer, international flavour. <a href="mailto:Sonia@groupemilagro.com">Sonia@groupe milagro.com</a> </p>"

That's everything. Thanks for looking into it.

Vij'n
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.

This works for me:

<A HREF='mailto:mitch@flashbax.com'>Contact me</A>

The only difference is mine is all caps and I used a single quote rather than double. Maybe add my line to your code and see if it works, if you can't get yours to work. I don't know if this is case sensative, but knowing flash, it might me.

edit>

OK, it's those double quotes. I tried this in mine, and it worked:

<a href='mailto:Sonia@groupemilagro.com'>Sonia@groupe milagro.com</a>
    Last edited by iaskwhy; 12-06-2003 at 02:10 AM.

excellent. i knew it would be something seemingly insignificant, but in the AS world, nothing is too insignificant is it? Thanks. That worked. Saved me a lot of trouble.

Vij'n

Thing is, if you don't keep using what you learned, you forget it. I had to open and old fla to see how I did it. LOL

I know exactly what you mean. There are some of the simplest things that I have to look into my old files to remember how to do. And then once I see it, i feel stupid for not having remembered something that makes so much sense. Such is life huh.

Vij'n

well, let me ask you, since I'm already on the topic. is there a way to trigger an event from a dynamic link. Meaning can i get the file to go to a specific scene from a hyperlink within a dynamic text box, using the above method? I can even create a named anchor if that helps. Anyway, if you got the time, let me know if it's even possible.

Vij'n

Hmmm, I can't think of any html code offhand that would tell the movie what to do. But that doesn't mean there isn't something.

Altho, I have an old fla somewhere that creates a text field and the buttons to scroll it just from code. Let me find that.

I appreciate it man. But no stress. i can find other ways around this little issue of mine. Thanks for your help and persistence though. hehe.

Vij'n

Hey, you mind if I add you to my buddy list? Let me know.

I haven't found anything that might work.

Sure, go ahead.

Related Question

I have a somewhat related question

I have some dynamic text boxes in my Flash file, that are getting variables from the html.

For example:
    I have a dynamic text box with the variable name "Email"

In the html that contains the .swf, I set the Flash variable to equal the html variable: myfile.swf?Email=##Email##;
    (##Email## is defined in the html to grab the email address)

This all works great!!

The problem is, I want to make that text box a mailto link. I've tried linking the actual text box and that doesn't work.

What I'm trying to do, I think, is something like this...

EmailLink= <a href: 'mailto:##Email##'>##Email##</a>

And then call that "EmailLink" in my text box.

Any help would be appreciated!!

brianika, sorry but you're already passed me. I won't be the one to help you with this one. If you haven't already gotten the answer though, try again in the AS forum or in other flash forums online. I'm sure someone will have the answer if you persist. Good luck.

Vij'n

Thanks anyways!

Nevermind, I figured it out!

I used the following

myfile.swf?Email=<a href='mailto:##Email##?Subject=My subject here...'>##Email##</a>

in the html. Works like a charm! Bet you didn't know variables could do that did you

Had no clue. pretty cool though.

Vij'n