dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: New FLASH-related software. Advice request.

Hybrid View

New FLASH-related software. Advice request.

Hi!
    Could you, please, give any ideas on the following:

I am going to release a freeware Flash-related desktop utility. This customizable software would be useful for those developers who want to give a "desktop" behaviour to their online and offline applications (Flash or just HTML). The software is ready and is actively used by me
    Now I am looking for sponsors to cover expenses for hosting and licensing the software that I was using while programming this tool (trial versions). Possible amount is not so high and I can propose to put any kind of sponsor's information in ABOUT form (logo, url, description) of this version of utility and all minor version updates (and make it available forever). Or even add to the developers list.

So, I have a couple of questions to forum users:
    1. Is it OK to ask for this?
    2. Did you ever made such proposal?
    3. Are there any other ways of such cooperation?
    4. Can you advise anything else?

Anyone interested in cooperation, please contact me to get specification of the tool and its demo.

Salut!

You can get sponsors but it is more difficult with a brand new product since they do know whether it will be worth their investment.

Why not just sell the product? If it is a worthwhile product you can certainly take a lesson from the others in here who sell their products for $99 and up.

Hi!

1. I'd rather give away this tool, then sell it. Just for fun.

2. To make it free, I have to buy (this tool was made with evaluation version of Delphi) a Personal (very limited and v7 max.) version ($99). Which is not upgradeable to Professional. Sorry, I'm not going to invest in this.

3. To sell it, I have to buy a Professional version ($999!). I will not invest, because I'm not working with Delphi now (some years ago I was using it very intensively), and I don't think that this utility worth sales.

In future, If I'll get a sponsor, I'm going to release other tools, also.

More specific info for those, who can be interested:

My utility, is a customizable browser, which is a wrapper around IExplorer Activex. It can be controlled within page through Javascript and Flash (navigating, visual properties, etc) It is very simple, but nice , and can be used for CD presentations, specific web content, Flash applications, etc. It is less than 200kb size, do not need installation, and easily customizable through the ini file.

Salut!

Cool. I'd be interested in seeing it when you are ready.

Also, any tips you could provide for integrating Flash OCX with Delphi? I've done this in VB but not Delphi.

Hi!

2 XcVbSdRw:
    Concerning tips. Can't tell you something very special, but the main things are, that you can import Flash ActiveX and put it on form. Point component to your SWF and you will get a simple application with integrated flash support. Also, it is possible to check the version of flash, presence of Flash ActiveX, install OCX from resource, etc. Everything depends on your needs and fantasy
    If you are interested, try this page (just CTRL-F on it for "flash"):
    http://xdds.nepro.net/~cho/3kdt/index.php?viewall=1

Salut!

AWESOME Delphi resource!! thanks!