A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Introducing yourself while attending seminars?

Introducing yourself while attending seminars?

Hey All,

I have recently attended a couple of seminars, and would be attending a few very soon......

Can someone give me some ideas on how to interact with people during coffee breaks so as to make 'contacts' ?

I know its a stooopid question, but I am really in need of some help.

I am 19 (going on 20)... done some good work, and the people in seminars are usually 30 years and above..
    Cheers,
    Bananaz
    Attachments are dangerous; Even in emails !!!

take up smoking and go outside with all the other smokers. No introduction required, all smokers feel alienated enough by the others anyway and you will immediately bond.

A downside is that in twenty years time you will probably die of some horrific desease or other, but that's decades away.
    "They're very much like scruffy pigs to look at, and they've got big, knobbly warts and lumps all over their long, hairy faces. They are very, very ugly indeed..."

FK's Official A&A Addict
    just listen in and give good advice on current subjects. And yeah swampies advice is a good one to thei'll probably have a cure for someking by he time though

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Originally posted by swampy
    take up smoking and go outside with all the other smokers. No introduction required, all smokers feel alienated enough by the others anyway and you will immediately bond.
    There is an undeniable truth to what this man says.

But if smoking is not your thing, remember that the key to networking is introducing yourself. You can't expect people to always come up to you and introduce themselves.

Be proactive and make the first move. And the more you do it, the easier it gets.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

Originally posted by hurricaneone
    Be proactive and make the first move. And the more you do it, the easier it gets.
    Same thing with girls

Originally posted by phreakdevil
    Same thing with girls
    Well now that you know the secret, perhaps you can finally get some.

scope the crowd, and find the people that seem to be the most gregarious. when you meet, direct contact of the eyes, don't stare, firm handshake, introduce yourself via a concise yet well-spoken pre-prepared speech that would seem pertinent to the seminar, hand over a business card if you have one, and remember that person's name for later usage.

in a later conversation, repeat their name, refresh their memory, ask them if they still have your card, ask to do lunch one day, or at least build up correspondence via e-mail.

smoking... even though I do not, is a good method to meet. I go outside - to get fresh air, how ironic - and end up talking to the people out there.

oh, and remind yourself to not go to your mouth or face with your hands the entire time. go wash your hands after shaking with the group of people you just decided to introduce yourself. good way to avoid germs, colds, and what not. also important.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Originally posted by hurricaneone
    Well now that you know the secret, perhaps you can finally get some.

How did you kn. . . where are you??. . . . nah just kidding man, i discovered the "secret" by myself, just trying to pass it on

I can't add too much to what gerbick said, he's right on the money.

Just don't be 'That Guy'. Who's 'That Guy'?

That Guy, probably smokes. He's very outgoing and will talk to almost everyone. That Guy is cynical, he knows the 'real deal'. The chumps speaking don't know what they're talking about. That Guy points out the ass on that blonde over by the coffee machine. That Guy knows every dirty joke in the book and tells one within 30 seconds of meeting you. That Guy has a really loud laugh, and tries to look very important or displeased while on his cell phone.

Don't be That Guy.

Banned by GMF ™
    FK´s Banning Machine

I am That Guy.

Originally posted by marknovak
    I am That Guy.
    I am now walking away from you, shaking my head.

"woo look at me, I'm mad I am"
    "They're very much like scruffy pigs to look at, and they've got big, knobbly warts and lumps all over their long, hairy faces. They are very, very ugly indeed..."

I'm the same age as you and the advice given above is perfect. However when your at the coffee machine or outside smoking like me or just getting fresh air, the easiest way to start a conversation is ethier ask a question about something in the seminar that just happened or be like...wow I really liked that presentation on blah blah and the the rest of the conversation should be a sinche.

Ed

Kissing some ass has always been known to get people to the top.