A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Giving .fla files to clients for free???

Giving .fla files to clients for free???

I did some freelance flash work for a friend of mine who owns a design company. Now that the site is done and online, my friend's client wants to maintain and update the work herself. They demanded the source files of everything including the .fla files.

I'm just a freelancer and there is no contract of any kind...and I never want to give my source files without them paying. What shall I do? Apparantly my friend didnt explain to his client they were NOT paying for source files. Any advice on what I should do? His client may threaten to sue him for my files!

Pooh

unless it was stated, dont give them to them. They paid for the design, not the sources. What are they gonna do about it? There arent any contracts. If they want them make them pay extra.
    maybe.

Developer
    The Bluegrass State Will Flash For Food ™
    You were working for your friend... did your friend have a contract with the client?
    Last edited by gSOLO_01; 12-11-2003 at 10:19 AM.

Danny Gomez Creations ® cosmiceye's Avatar
    under a palmtree in Jamaica waiting for psytopia 2005 to begin
    If you could figure out a price for your sourcefiles, just tell them that thats what they cost. Or else they will have to sing a contract with you every time they need an update. Just explain that and it will all make sense to everyone.
    ..:: P S Y T O P I A 2 0 0 5 :::..
    . . . view the psytopia reels _____RIVEND REEL | GOMEZ REEL_____ . . . . . . . . . . .

send them a FLA from a completely random animation.
    maybe.

I have already drafted the price of each (.fla) source to the design house. I only made deal with the design house for the client project.

I heard he had a contract regarding the logo copyright matter. There has not been mentioned of any original source files (eg. .fla)!

Developer
    The Bluegrass State Will Flash For Food ™
    You "heard" ?

Just ask your friend if release of the source is explicitly spelled out in the contract (which it probably is not). In that case or if there was no contract involved, the client pays for the source.

Thanks...

I believe myself all along. I put the quote up front for the flash sources after I know clients want them. It's the problem of the design house who is confusing together with the client. They want the files for free!!! What a joke!

Thanks for the reply! I am glad that all of you are on my side! :-)

Pooh

Let me clarify...

You "heard" ?

Just ask your friend if release of the source is explicitly spelled out in the contract (which it probably is not). In that case or if there was no contract involved, the client pays for the source.

I mean my friend (owner of the design house) told me on the phone...so I heard...

Pooh
    Last edited by Poopooh; 12-11-2003 at 11:49 AM.

If you designed it and didn't tell them that it was theirs, then you essentially own the copyright to your work and only let them have a license to use it. Ergo, it is yours, and if they want the source, they have to pay for it.
    I really enjoy forgetting. When I first come to a place, I notice all the little details. I notice the way the sky looks. The color of white paper. The way people walk. Doorknobs. Everything. Then I get used to the place and I don't notice those things anymore. So only by forgetting can I see the place again as it really is.