A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: links in a menubar

links in a menubar

Ok heres the problem, i made a nice flash menubar with 3dfa. I've got all the buttons set to navigate to the different pages of my website. It works like a charm INSIDE 3dfa when I test it, but when I publish it to my website clicking on the buttons does nothing. I'm not really sure what i've done wrong here. I set the button down property of each menubutton to open the right url, tried all five of the target options. It still never works. Can anyone explain this to me?

Re: links in a menubar

Originally posted by 3dfaNewby
    Ok heres the problem, i made a nice flash menubar with 3dfa. I've got all the buttons set to navigate to the different pages of my website. It works like a charm INSIDE 3dfa when I test it, but when I publish it to my website clicking on the buttons does nothing. I'm not really sure what i've done wrong here. I set the button down property of each menubutton to open the right url, tried all five of the target options. It still never works. Can anyone explain this to me?
    Sound ok something wrong though, Hard to say with out see it.

What is the EXACT thing you have in one of the menu buttons?

Re: links in a menubar

Originally posted by blanius
    What is the EXACT thing you have in one of the menu buttons?
    I zipped the .movie and attached it to this reply, hope thats ok its only 14k. Could you take a look and tell me what I did wrong here?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Simple fix either add the http:// to the urls or remove the domain info

When you enter a url without the http:// the browser assumes the url is relative in other words within the current domain. So when you have a url like geocities.com/~mysite/thefile.html and you are already at geocities.com/~mysite/index.html the browser will try to go to geocities.com/~mysite/geocities.com/~mysite/thefile.html which is wrong. In this case the url should have been just thefile.html

Make sense?

Re:links in a menubar

Simple fix either add the http:// to the urls or remove the domain info

When you enter a url without the http:// the browser assumes the url is relative in other words within the current domain. So when you have a url like geocities.com/~mysite/thefile.html and you are already at geocities.com/~mysite/index.html the browser will try to go to geocities.com/~mysite/geocities.com/~mysite/thefile.html which is wrong. In this case the url should have been just thefile.html

Make sense?
    Makes plenty of sense except for one thing. It still doesn't work. I've tried it both ways with the same result. It just sits there doing nothing when clicked on after I publish it to my website. Actually even if I export it and test it in IE it doesn't do anything when clicked. Sorry it took me so long to respond again, been out Christmas shopping all day.

Re:links in a menubar

Ok this is really strange. Just on a hunch I took the 3dfa menu sample and exported it. Its doing EXACTLY the same thing as my own menubar. It works fine INSIDE 3dfa, but as soon as I export it, the buttons do nothin at all when clicked. Could I have a broken 3dfa or something?

Re: Re:links in a menubar

Originally posted by 3dfaNewby
    Ok this is really strange. Just on a hunch I took the 3dfa menu sample and exported it. Its doing EXACTLY the same thing as my own menubar. It works fine INSIDE 3dfa, but as soon as I export it, the buttons do nothin at all when clicked. Could I have a broken 3dfa or something?
    I just exported it again and added the http:// to the url and it worked fine.....

Did you remember to UPDATE the menu before export, Done that like a million times and wondered why a menu didn't work.

Hello. Try the file i attached in my post below. It works fine for me. All I changed was:

added http:// in front of your url's
    Changed it to load in current frame

works like a charm!

by the way thats a really good looking menu!

good luck

edit... uhg it didn't attach for some reason

there it is
    Attached Files Attached Files

WTF?!?

Something is seriously wrong here. Even when I downloaded the one that worked for The Cheat and exported it........it doesn't work. And 3dfa hasn't responded to my e-mail yet.

check your version of the flash player plugin for starters

you could also try reinstalling 3dfa. Other than that I'm stumpped

check your version of the flash player plugin for starters

you could also try reinstalling 3dfa. Other than that I'm stumpped
    I have Macromedia Flash Player Version 7,0,14,0 installed successfully according to Macromedia.com. I'll try reinstalling 3dfa this afternoon.........hopefully it'll work because I still haven't heard back from 3dfa support yet and I really like this program.

Thats odd....

Try this, Import the file that i uploaded into 3dfa, and export it to a .swf file. Then upload the .swf to the net and let us look at it.

If the links dont work for us, we will know that the problem is with 3dfa. But if the links do work with us, just not with you, then we know its some sort of problem with your internet explorer, or flash player or something. Make sense?

Originally posted by The Cheat
    Thats odd....

Try this, Import the file that i uploaded into 3dfa, and export it to a .swf file. Then upload the .swf to the net and let us look at it.

If the links dont work for us, we will know that the problem is with 3dfa. But if the links do work with us, just not with you, then we know its some sort of problem with your internet explorer, or flash player or something. Make sense?

Ok here you go http://www.geocities.com/deck_full_o...bmenu_test.swf

404 page not found...

Can't link to anything other than html directly with Geocities
    Change it to html or hand enter the above and it works.

Hey noticed that your embedded code tags are not the default ones from 3dfa, is it possible this has something to do with it?

Try using the html that is exported by 3dfa.
    Last edited by blanius; 12-14-2003 at 02:09 PM.