dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Why does it take longer to post variables from within a projector than from html

Why does it take longer to post variables from within a projector than from html

Here is the situation. I am using sendAndLoad method to send variables to a script. The script resides in a unit that is local to my network. When I send from within a swf that is embedded in a html file, the result takes only a few seconds. When I try the same thing from within a projector made from the same swf I get a much different result. The first time I send it takes about 25 seconds to see the result, but once I have sent that first time, each subsequent sending takes only seconds.
    I hope that is clear enough.
    to illustrate:
    A and B are on same network.
    A sends to B through swf in html page
    B sends response back to A in a few seconds.
    A sends to B through projector
    B sends response back to A in 25 seconds (too long for purpose)
    A sends to B through projector a second time (without restarting the projector)
    B sends response back to A in a few seconds.

Is A establishing a connection? Can this wait time be reduced?

Any help is greatly appreciated as always.
    Kerry

A pessimist complains about the wind;
    an optimist expects the wind to change;
    a leader adjusts his sails.

(anonymous)
    info@bizmoxsystems.com
    http://www.bizmox-systems.com

Tim (Super Moderator) Northcode's Avatar
    Flash normally relies on its container (browser) provide support for things that require internet connections. When you are running in an HTML page the browser is already up and running and things happen quickly.

In a standalone projector the first time you access the internet, the standalone player has to load the required support libraries (WinINet on Windows) before it can process your request. Once the libraries are loaded, subsequent access happens quickly, like it does in the browser.

You might be able to reduce the effect if you do a loadVariables (on a simple text file on your site) at startup, before you actually NEED to access the internet. That should eliminate the delay you're seeing later in your movie...