A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Autostart for USB Device? Can it happen?

Talking Autostart for USB Device? Can it happen?

I have used the autostart script to make CD's autostart my flash.exe file but that same script does not work on a USB device. Does anyone have any solutions to get my file to autostart on a USB drive?
    Mark Gooodman
    www.markcgoodman.com

Some of the latest hardware allows you to start your machine from a usb device (My Satellite P25 Series laptop does; a usb floppy, if you can believe it) - but most pre-2003 machines probably don't. It's a BIOS thing. I would investigate upgrading the BIOS on the machine, probably your only option.

- Ed

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    AutoRun is primarily intended for public distribution of applications on CD-ROM and DVD-ROM. However, it is often useful to enable AutoRun on other types of removable storage media. This feature is typically used simplify the debugging of AutoRun.inf files. AutoRun only works on removable storage devices when the following criteria are met:

- The device must have AutoRun-compatible drivers. To be AutoRun-compatible, a driver must notify the system that a disk has been inserted by sending a WM_DEVICECHANGE message.

- The root directory of the inserted media must contain an Autorun.inf file.

- The device must not have AutoRun disabled through the registry.

- The foreground application has not suppressed AutoRun.

All the information about AutoRun that you'll ever want can be found here on the Microsoft web site.

Thanks

I think that the divice does not allow autorun to work so I guess I am out of luck.
    Mark Gooodman
    www.markcgoodman.com

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    I know some of these devices support it because whenever I attach my USB keychain drive to my XP laptop, the damned thing starts scanning for files to run/start/delete/mangle and whatever other options XP has...

XP actually included a lot of nice driver enhancements, including pretty darned good "generic" drivers that recognize a lot of old devices I thought I'd have to toss out.

I learned a long time ago to pay the extra $ and buy name brand stuff and I've never been sorry. When possible I try to make sure it's on the Windows HCL (hardware compatibility list). Do that and you'll be a lot happier when the next version of Windows is rolled out

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/search.mspx?gssnb=1