A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: bad, bad week ...

2KHeroes / Sylvaniah designer luxregina's Avatar

bad, bad week ...

Hey ! haven't posted here for a while, so my apologies for this thread not nessecerly being related to help, and too much of a quick chat.

I've been caught by an intensive session of work, for some exigeant client and haden't any time to myself at all

- My apologies to Blink and MadSci for having let them down with their project : i should have known earlier that i wouldn't be able to fullfill my promises

- From today, i'm back on working on 2K - just few things to brush up in the cutscenes and the game will be finished .

- Speaking of 2K, i'm now officially an IGF looser : my game haven't been selected as a finalist (http://www.igf.com) ... it's quite sad, but was expected ... not sure if i will attend FlashForward 2004 ...

Dont give up, from the Web/Downloadable finalists only 1 was Flash game. At least from those I was able to try, some are not available. This 1/10 is of course very sad result for the Flash games

courage...

Just keep on trying, you'll get there...

SaphuA_tmp

:)

Let's make a: Support Lux Sticky

Comeone Lux! You Can Do It Baby!

2k = FlashForward 2004 winner

go for it lux! theyd have to have an AWESOME game to beat ur 2k!!! u can do it lux, we believe in u mate!!!

this thread has nothing to do with me but i just have to give some kudos to lux for using the word 'exigeant'. respect

Thanks for your support, mates !

I agree with Tony : really few Flash games were present at IGF : it is a shame.
    It certainly comes from the blury line between a web based game and a downloadable game, that are in the same category : i believe that in the future, there should be a distinction between the two ...

Anyhow, 2K doesn't have a revolutionnary gameplay, it's kind of a stripped down Diablo, and i knew that the devloppment plateform would certainly not be a consideration for the judges : 2K doesn't bring anything new to RPGs / Hack and Slash ...

Even for FlashForward, i'm not sure that 2K is enough of a revelation : it is just hard work, but it doesn't push further any new concept in Flash gaming, that's why i'm questionning participating or not : having players enjoying my game is the most important, and i'm not sure if the deception of not having some 'official' recognition doesn't spoil that pleasure ...

Honestly, I tried as many finalists from igf as I was able to, and I didnt find any "revolutionnary gameplay" or actually any new idea from those.

Some were straight clones, some used well known ideas, adding just a little. They were solid games, all the elements in place, but still, they didnt really make me say "wow".

Oh, cool, I have been waiting for you to release II Kingdoms, I'm glad to see that you are still active at least!
    Ding.

hey lux,
    don't worry mate, a DANG! is worth a thousand IGF's (I mean they don't even have a name for it!). There are no worries about the mad-sci thing, there was never a time fame on it and i'll be back in about three weeks. Go kick arse in the ff2004!
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Flash is nothing compared to all the other game creating programs.. they have 3d support and stuff... can make games like quake, dukenukem... even halo.... and they run smoothly. Flash doesnt run that smoothly. Requires alot of CPU and those games cant be created using Flash.

The only good thing about flash is that you dont have to download the games.

Soooo. if anyone is going to enter a competition, it should ONLY be for flash games. a flash competition. Otherwise u will most likely loose.

luxregina
    , your game kicks ass. It's awesome and if you would compete in a flash contest, you would probably win.

but I will still continue using Flash.
    Last edited by Ironclaw; 12-15-2003 at 02:11 PM.

love your artwork. Especially the gothic type look, good luck if you fo to ff2004 thingy
    Each success only buys an entrance ticket to a more difficult problem

Hey !
    All-> thanks for the support again ! that's one of the countless great things with this community !!! just decided that Flashkit should be the first opening logo before the game as without that kind of support/emulation, the game would have been forgot ages ago ...
    If the game works a bit, it will be a way to give back the community what it had given to me ....

Blink -> Glad you don't take it bad ! it's been an intensive, depressing couple of weeks, but i'm quite happy with the work provided so i guess it makes up for it ...

mrwackoisme -> trust me, i'm working hard to finish everything before Xmas, and adding back the cutscenes at last minute means a lot of extra work ... i just hope nobody will be disapointed

Ironclaw -> i know Flash cannot compete with most other langages, but it is the only one i know enough to dare having a project with : knowing a bit of actionscript actually made me able to keep the project going forward, even if on slow mode, between two (or three) coders - which wouldn't have been possible with anything else -(though, most of the credit for coding ingeniosity goes to Ed Mack and Yann, my last co-worker)
    To paraphrase Squize, i would hope that a game could be judged aside developpement considerations, i would like flash to be taken as a serious developpment solution, eventhough i do realize that 2 Kingdoms was not the ideal candidate for that as it is limited by the nature of data Flash can handle, the simplicity of its design, and of course by my sole skills...

I will attend FlashForward, i shouldn't get discouraged, but i should stress that the thing that will make me the most happy is when you play the game, and if you like it : you are all names and posts, that i followed for quite a time, when IGF judges, or FlashForward do not nessecarly mean anything to me

no tear-jerker, but i've never expressed how encouraging you've all been in this project ...

Official Shoe Shiner thehumanchimp's Avatar
    ooooh, just thought i would add my support...
    You can do it!
    Message on a gravestone: I finished before you in the human race.

Using: Flash MX