A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: PreLoad

I have a scenario, I have 2 large movies..that need to play back to back. I have the first 1 preloading 3 levels of the 2nd 1. I have the 2nd movie preload itself 40%. In this situation, do I need the 2nd movie to preload 40% or is it reloading so of itself again?

Also,
    What does the play movie command do? Is it playing the next movie? No understand....

No it does not play the loaded movie.

It effects the SWF itself. What is needed is the on Frame load action.

Get URL works sorta- When the new movie is loaded locally you wont tell any difference but over a network with slower load times you will notice the browser re-rendering the page. Over a fast connection on a realitivly fast machine you can not tell the difference except perhaps a quick flicker. Over a slower connection or on a slower machine this flicker is more noticible.

If you have other Elements on the page like a silly banner that your Web Space provider forces you to display (if you are using a Free Web Space provider this is common) this will be really noticible.

How about this.....
    I have made a short initial movie which has about 8 frames & stops after completing them.
    The first 6 frames I have made it load 1 level each of the next movie to play. 6 levels total. The next to the last frame gets the URL of the next movie to play.
    My question:
    Does it help to make the load of the next movie by the method I am using??
    Also, would using the unload movie for the 1st movie help make the second one load faster?

I've also noticed that the last level of the first movie still hangs around when the 2nd one starts.
    [Edited by JKR on 11-09-2000 at 01:13 PM]

You need to unload the lower level with the unload movie. I've never tried it. It might just work.

Lets summarize what you are thinking about doing:

1. Movie A loads Movie B and its last action is set to stop movie.

2. The first action of Movie B is Play movie and unload movie a which was at layer 0.

3. The last Frame of Movie B stops the movie and loads Movie C.

4. Movie C then plays the movie and unloads movie B from layer 1.

Hmmmmmm

So, to get this on the road........
    Movie B will first unload level 0??(Why level 0?) This will unload the last level of movie A?? Then, it will not bring the last level of movie A into B?

I goofed it wouldn't have to. What you need to do is have the newest movie unload the last one.