A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: MX Video files and sleepless nights

MX Video files and sleepless nights

Hi all

I am producing projector projects that have a number of short video clips featured. In a recent project I noticed that movie clips built in final cut, exported to media cleaner and compressed with Sorenson video 3 compressor with 2 pass VBR just explode in size when embedded into my Flash page. For example I have reduced a 70sec, 243mb clip down to 8.8mb in cleaner, I then bring it into FlashMX and it swells to 160mb (very little vector content already in file) and when exported to an .swf it gets down to 38.9mb.
    my question is, why does it blow out so much when embedded into my Flash project?. At this size the movies only run well on faster machines, thus limiting my market and opportunities.
    Question 2 is MX2004 pro the answer??

I hope someone out there can help me

Merry Christmas to all

Dave

A couple suggestions.

You might try using the native AVI from Final Cut and encoding it straight to a SWF in Sorenson Squeeze?

If you need to take into flash use the native AVI from Final Cut and encode it to a FLV then take it into Flash MX.
    PC | 1.7GHz P4 | 256MB RAM | FLASH MX | IE6 | WIN XP | BROADBAND

Don't recompress compressed media.

Thanks

I will get into this again today and follow the advice you have given. Thanks for the quick replies.

I'm having the same file size problem, here are my steps taken:

1. I compress the video using Sorenson,result= 600KB .wmv movie
    2. I open MX and import my 600KB movie.
    3. On the sorenson screen I reduce Quality to 80% and scale to 75%
    4. After embedding, I open the library,right click on my video. New file size? 2.8MB
    5. I curse out MX

I also tried leaving the Sorenson setting alone from step 3 but that only causes my file size to shoot to 11.8MB! Reducing scale/quality is not helping, what can make video double/triple in size once imported into MX? Is this a bug? I searched for answers for days. I must have read like 100 threads, and still I can't find an answer.
    Last edited by moises07; 04-27-2004 at 10:43 PM.

Try encoding as a .flv from Squeeze and then import into Flash.

Originally posted by andrthad
    Try encoding as a .flv from Squeeze and then import into Flash.
    Thanks, I'm going to try that. Back to the issue, nobody has an answer for this problem? It happens to several people,so I know I'm not crazy. I did search this forum multiple times, read the stickies, etc.

Wildform Moderator
    Hi.
    Are you using Flash MX or Flash MX 2004?
    Flash MX (version 6) is terrible with video and it's extremely difficult to get usable results from that software.
    Flash MX 2004 and Flash MX 2004 Pro are much, much better (Pro is better than Standard) for working with video.
    jb
    www.wildform.com

I have not experienced your problems. As Wheels said, you are probably compressing a compressed file. To my knowledge you are to approach loading an avi file into a flash presentation two ways.

1. Use Squeeze/Flix to convert your avi straight to an swf and then use a loadmovie command to load the external swf into your flash presentation file.

2. Use Squeeze/Flix to convert your avi to a Flash flv and then import into Flash and add controls, buttons, etc.

I know you can import .swf into flash, but I have not had a lot of success in doing that. In reality there you can just use an actionscript loadmovie command to load it into your presentation rather than embedding it in your presentation.

Thank you guys. I tried exporting to .flv using Sorenson but it over-compressed my file,even though I placed a File Size constraint of 700K it compressed it to 200K and made it look horrible. See? I was happy in the non-video days of flash, I wouldn't have to worry about these problems. On to MX '04 now... again,thanks for your assistance.