A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Graphic Optimization?

http://stellarsoft.net

Graphic Optimization?

My games tend to lag horribly. Maybe if I knew a thing or two about optimizing graphics in Flash, my games would run a lot faster. Can anyone help me out? What should I know about graphic optimization in Flash so my games don't lag?
    The HTML release of my Flash "Book"
    http://www.nudnik-headache.net/tut

Gods cower, women quiver. Buckwheat469's Avatar
    First of all I've never seen a big flash program run good on a slow computer. The more layers you have the bigger the file will be, just like with Photoshop. The more keyframes you have the bigger the file will be, keyframes are where the image is recreated in the timeline, it's kinda like copying the same images to different locations.

The more shape tweens you have in your movies the more processing time it takes for your computer. Shape tweens are very difficult mathmatical functions that require the entire use of your processor. Imagine doing trig and calc at the same time. Plus if there's subtraction of any kind then it requires your processor to perform two tasks instead of one, it first converts the number to its 1s compliment (kinda like adding 100 to the number), then it subtracts the two numbers. In actuality subtracting for a computer is really adding but with another step, a CPU does not have the ability to subtract as we know it.

Another optimization technique is to minimize your library items, even though these aren't used they are still exported.

If you have text try not to break it apart, the shapes take up more space than the letter outlines. Also, if you have dynamic text try to use a standard font (Arial, Times, Helvetica) don't embed fonts, this takes up space, unless the font you used won't be in user's computers.

If you can, try to use more actionscript to perform tasks, it's easier to modify actionscript and it's faster for the computer to process than looking at an image and tweening where it should go.

for ex...
    graphic1._x += 1;
    graphic1._y += 1;

Here you can basically understand that the graphic is gonna move to the right and up in a 45deg angle. If you did this with shape tweening then the computer has to compare where the shape is in the beginning and the end and then perform the motion.

Hope this helps a little, if I'm wrong about anything please ***** me out in the future posts for this question.
    yup.

hey krak! It's trash.
    i'm afraid i cant help you. Apparently on my computer your game runs just fine. I dont see any slowing down.
    What's a siggy?
    /oh...

http://stellarsoft.net
    Originally posted by suisse
    hey krak! It's trash.
    i'm afraid i cant help you. Apparently on my computer your game runs just fine. I dont see any slowing down.
    Greetings, brother Trash.

Even if Sebba runs fine on your computer, you can still share with me the knowledge you have of graphic optimization.