dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: MC control spanning diff. clips

MC control spanning diff. clips

Howdy!

I have a fla I have been working on that loads an external swf as an intro clip. In my drop down navigation I have buttons that I want to control clips on my root layer (click on landscape for instance, and the intro clip disappears and the new landscape clip loads). I have it working if I have my navigation stuff in the same MC (or layer, maybe?), however, I can't get it working if I try to load SWFs and my navigation is in another mc.
    I am using instance names for different actions when the buttons are pressed such as but, but0, but1

example

but.onPress = function () {
    _root.createEmptyMovieClip("container", 1);
    loadMovie("sgsIntro.swf", "container");
    container._x = 240 ;
    container._y = 45 ;
    }

I tried changing the code to _root. _parent. and _this. in different parts of the code where I thought appropriate, but still having trouble. I attached the fla if anyone could take a look.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Try it this way.

Thanks, but...

Thanks for the input!

Honestly, your modified fla is a little different then how I want the end product to work and I am not 'flashy' enough (bad pun, I know) to modifiy your code the way I need to. I want to keep the 'roll back up'
    function the manual.fla has.

I don't understand what you are doing with this snippet of code..

_root.nav.b1._alpha = 1;

in particular the alpha part.

Again thanks for the info, but me no understand.

thx.

The top button is part of the drop menu. I just made it invisible so it looked like yours. Get this new fla if you want it to roll back up.

Thanks a lot for the additional comments, but I am still not posing my question correctly.

I can't seem to figure out a good way to have the buttons in the drop down menu load external swf files. My suspician is that my original code won't work b/c I am not staying on the same level. When I use the loadMovie command, it replaces (unloads maybe?) the navigation menu. Ideally I would like to have things work in this order..

Rollover navigation. Menu drops down. Click on one of the 5 buttons. External swf loads while menu rolls back up. Navigation stays accessible preventively.

Thanks for the help!!

Ok, Let me say this in another way...

I have two movie clips on my stage. One mc contains my navigation, the other is an empty clip call 'container'. I want to be able to click links in my nav clip to load different movies into container. I can get this to work if everything is in one clip, however the action script I am using won't work when I have my nav mc trying to load movies into my container mc.
    I am using instance names on my buttons and in my code layer in my nav mc saying..

but.onPress = function () {
    _root.createEmptyMovieClip("container", 1);
    loadMovie("sgsIntro.swf", "container");
    container._x = 240 ;
    container._y = 45 ;
    }

This wont work. If I just do a simple loadMovie, I can load a movie, but it unloads my nav movie. I want to keep my nav mc available at all times, of course.

If anyone can point out what I am doing wrong, I would be greatly obliged!

Thanks.