A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: CMS; browser requirement IE only?

CMS; browser requirement IE only?

Hi,

Three days ago I found an editor that would be perfect for a content managment system. I spend three days now to improve it (still some days to go) but before I go any further; the ActiveX used for the editor is Internet Explorer 5+ only. Do you think it would be smart to use it and require that your (future) client use IE? (The editor can be nice and I think with the help of a php class I can get the output to be xhtml 1.0 valid)

editor is here

Thanks
    Vincent
    SWIS BV

Last edited by Markp.com on 07-23-2003 at 02:25 AM

We purchased a 3rd party CMS that requires IE 5 and up and only works under Windows. It was a huge pain for me because to use it on my Mac, I have to run it under Virtual PC, which is slower than slow.

For our clients, however, it has not been a problem, since 99.9% of them already use IE on a PC. We only had one client who had a Mac and had to use VPC.

There are tons of other open source CMS that are not platform/browser restrictive. Typo3 and PHP-Nuke come to mind off the top of my head.

Originally posted by johntabita
    There are tons of other open source CMS that are not platform/browser restrictive. Typo3 and PHP-Nuke come to mind off the top of my head.
    i may be wrong but i think typo3 works in all browser, but it's rich text editor is IE only, or at least recommended for IE, isn't it?
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.

Originally posted by argonauta
    i may be wrong but i think typo3 works in all browser, but it's rich text editor is IE only, or at least recommended for IE, isn't it?
    Yes, exactly. So far, I have found Typo3 to be the better option out there (although for most needs it is overkill). The good thing about Typo3 is that, even if you don't have IEonPC, it will still work for you... just not the rich text. In fact, I haven't found ANY cms that uses rich text without the ActiveX control. There may be an enterprise commercial type out there that uses Java to get rich text, but I know of none.

The one linked in the original post looks neat... only I can't understand all that jibberish! My, how I wish I was multi-lingual!

Thanks for the replies

The editor is indeed the same in the cms you all mentioned. (thanks for the link to typo3) It would be easy to replace the activeX with a normal text input field for other browsers but I don't think I'll do that; my customers see html as some kind of hard programming language and I don't want them to mess up the html. And I made the drop-down boxes and color-picker IE only. (have you ever tried to put layers on top of a form or activeX?) The drop-down menus are not really nice but I think the only option is to use dynamic iframes like I did.

I think I'm going to make this multi-language, I already got most of the text in an external file.

Editing text would be easy I guess; I'll just add a browse/open button to open up a popup that has the files from a folder in it, upon selecting a file opening it in the editor. (maybe a mysql version too)

I have been working on a flash editor for quite some time (Josh Dura)but I don't think that's ever going to work out right; maybe for flash websites only.
    Vincent
    SWIS BV

have you seen mike glenn's rendition using dura's editor as a base?:

http://www.mglenn.com/

on my "to do" list is make either mike or josh's editor access and write to php files, which so far (several months) i haven't had enough time to put into it. dura's seems to use the shared object in flash and mike's pops up html in a browser alert box on submit or post to his website (doesn't work). neither, imo, are very useful as is.

has anyone else had any success doing the above?

Yeah, I use that one

http://www.avviso.nl/gsbmail/

(only thing I got online)
    If you log in and click the 'new message icon' (left top) you can use it. I just load the movie containing the editor in a level to have the ability to skin it. Data is submitted to a php script and send by mail.

It's ok for some webpages but for most webpages flash support for css, tables, images, etc is just too poor to make a cms with it.
    (mx 2004 doens't add much I think)
    Vincent
    SWIS BV

hi vincent,

does that actually change a php file or just e-mail you the requested changes so you still have to go into the php file to make the change? i think part of my problem is some of your example is in another language so i can't get the full picture.

This is ment as an outlook clone; (the actual one is offline now) The application works as a webmail client. The data for sending is just posted to a php script that sends a mail with mime type html.
    Vincent
    SWIS BV

Ok, I have been developing a news system for my school site and the most formatting I can use is RETURN which are replace with <br>.

I am having a creative revelation moment! I am so excited...

Please tell me this output HTML formatting at the end?

Please please please...
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21