A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: winamp plugins, how do they do that?

Elite Few

winamp plugins, how do they do that?

i was wondering, does anyone know how they make those visualization plugins for winamp? how do they make the lines or animate the objects to go with the sounds of the song?

is this possible to do in flash?

thanks in advance,

chris
    "I went to this psychiatrist for 2 years, and then she said something that brought tears to my eyes... 'no hablo ingles'"

I really enjoy forgetting. When I first come to a place, I notice all the little details. I notice the way the sky looks. The color of white paper. The way people walk. Doorknobs. Everything. Then I get used to the place and I don't notice those things anymore. So only by forgetting can I see the place again as it really is.

Who said fallin off of a horse couldn't be an inspiration
    i remember seeing a how-to section for plugins in winamp on the winamp site.
    BLING!

I thought there was a Visual Plugin (Winamp) SDK (software developer's kit) for that kind of stuff.

Go here... looks like the SDK is written for Delphi users. I've seen people use Delphi and OpenGL in the past with no issues.

If you're a programmer, you could make your own with the SDK.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Elite Few
    thank you for the link, im checkin it out as i type this. but is it possible to do in Flash?
    "I went to this psychiatrist for 2 years, and then she said something that brought tears to my eyes... 'no hablo ingles'"

hmmm. only if you could gather and pass variables to a flash *.exe via C++ perhaps?

I haven't given the SDK too much of a look.

flash doesnt have spectrum analyser capability for sound, so i wouldnt think so.

ive seen something simalar done with the Microphone.activityLevel property (for the microphone), which is the most basic type of spectrum analyser.
    This information is subject to change without notice and
    is provided "as is" with no warranty.

Elite Few
    awesome. i will mess around with that property, but how will it work if they dont have a mic? lol

thanks again.

and if anyone has more ideas, they are greatly appreciated.

but what i am trying to do is kind of like 2advanced.com's new visualization thing for their sound. any ideas on how to make something like that?

you mean the small window in the top-left of the front page? its not real.
    This information is subject to change without notice and
    is provided "as is" with no warranty.

quick and easy way to use flash and winamp... Flash O Lizer...

about what 2A did, contact them yet? They might answer.

Elite Few
    ok, i know that one is not syncronized with the sound. i am still looking to make one like that, that DOES go with the sound. but as a start, does anyone know how they do that?

I really enjoy forgetting. When I first come to a place, I notice all the little details. I notice the way the sky looks. The color of white paper. The way people walk. Doorknobs. Everything. Then I get used to the place and I don't notice those things anymore. So only by forgetting can I see the place again as it really is.

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™

../Sound and Music

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™

HP3 amazing FAQ :

FAQ #12: How do I create a graphic equalizer or eq that plays during my song?
    A: you must use a 3rd party tool that supports frequency analysis of the audio file (wav/aiff or mp3).

The application reads through the audio file and builds an array of the amplitude (volume) changes of a pre selected range of frequencies in the song at a rate matching the frame rate of your SWF. You create the eq animation by making a movie clip "bar" for each freuquency. Use a frame based loop to read through the array and change the movie clip's _height or _width properties to show changes in amplitude of each frequrency as the song plays. This creates the animated graphic eq effect.

two tools that support this are:

FlashAmp Pro - http://www.marmalademedia.com.au/flashamp/index.htm
    swift-mp3 - http://www.swift-tools.net
    flashTracks (here at flash kit and based upon swift generator)