A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Northcode's Runtime.exe verses Proxy.exe

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    Just so there are no rude surprises in your future...

Everything from "/f" to the next tag (or end of line) is the file to be copied.
    Everything from "/m" to the next tag (or end of line) is the message.
    Everything from "/c" to the next tag (or end of line) is the message box caption.

So this...

Code:
    2desktop myfile01.jpeg message / myfile has been saved to your desktop / My CD-ROM File Manager
    should actually look like this...

Code:
    2desktop /f myfile01.jpeg /m myfile has been saved to your desktop /c My CD-ROM File Manager
    and you're very welcome
    Last edited by Northcode; 01-05-2004 at 08:33 PM.

I don't know about the rest of the readers, but I am still confused on the "renamed proxy.exe" stuff you keep mentioning. What exactly do I have to rename? Or is it just a reference to a file with certain coding in it? If so, what coding?

If I am going out of league, just let me know.

Thanks everyone for all the posts!

William
    ===E-Pro Studios===
    eprostudios.com

The utility I created is called "proxy.exe" but you can rename any EXE file to anything you like. What's different about the proxy utility is that it "knows" what it is called. If you rename it to "epro.exe" it know that its name is now "epro.exe" when you run it.

They way the proxy utility works is simple, it looks at its current name, strips off the ".exe" extension and looks for a BAT file in the same directory with the same name and runs it without displaying a DOS box. So if you rename proxy.exe to epro.exe it will look for and try to run a file called epro.bat in the same directory.

How does this help you? You can't pass parameters to EXE files in Flash MX so you need some way to identify different files you want to open like PDF files etc. The easy solution is to create a BAT file for each PDF file you want to open and do fscommand("exec", "pdf1.bat"), but then you get the ugly DOS box. The proxy utility gets around that.

The pdf1.bat file might look something like this...

==============
    start pdf1.pdf
    ==============

Now your job is to create a BAT file for each PDF file and then make a copy of proxy.exe for each BAT file that has the same name as the bat file pdf1.exe, pdf1.bat, pdf2.exe, pdf2.bat and do fscommand("exec", "pdf1.exe") instead of calling the BAT file directly. The renamed copy of proxy.exe runs the correct BAT file so the PDF gets opened and no DOS box!

Can't find Proxie.exe

Hi, I'm developing a CD-Rom as well that is loaded with .doc's, .pdf's, and movies. I'd love to be able to use this Proxie.exe from Northcode but I have searched the site from top to bottom and cant seem to find it- can someone tell me where to find it???
    Would be most appreciative!!!
    miakazi

Proxy.exe

http://www.northcode.com/misc/proxy.zip

Remember to rename the proxy.exe file to the name of one of your documents (PDF, Word doc, Jpeg etc.). Then you need to create a .bat file and give it the same name...

proxy.exe becomes "PDF01.exe"
    .bat file name = "PDF01.bat"

.bat file reads:
    ================
    START "name of PDF file.pdf"
    ================

On your Flash button, place the fscommand to exec the "PDF01.exe" file.

"PDF01.exe" (which is actually proxy.exe) will trigger the .bat file to run. The .bat file will call the PDF file you designate in the .bat file code.

I used this AMAZING free utility from Northcode on two dual platform CD-ROM projects and it works great! (on the Mac side, you need to use Applescript).

All of the steps I used to make my CD-ROM projects work are all outlined on this thread. If you have any difficulties, please read the thread again for helpful information.

If you want to try another SUPER COOL Northcode utility, try 2desktop.exe.

It copies a specifed file from your CD-ROM onto the PC desktop, and it features a nifty message pop-up window to alert users that the file has been copied to the desktop. VERY SWEET!

Good luck!

-- and thank you again to Northcode!
    Last edited by nycomet; 01-22-2004 at 10:26 AM.
    nycomet

thanks a bunch nycomet!

miakazi

ok, I downloaded the proxy.zip, and followed the directions, renaming proxy.exe to "myfile.exe", then I created a .bat file with the same name and coded my button with the fscommand and ("exec","myfile.exe"). Then, I exported my file with Flash with fscaommand in the html settings and made a projector out of the swf. Nothing happens when I push the button. All the names are correct, and the appropriate files are in an fscommand folder. Is there anything I'm missing here?

Thanks!
    miakazi

Hello miakazi

1. I would generate a Flash Projector file directly in Flash. Why make an .swf file and use the .html settings and then make a projector afterwards? Are you using an external Flash app like ***********? If so, I have no experience with such products. Perhaps someone else can assist (maybe our guru Northcode?)

For a CD-ROM project, all you need is the Flash Projector file. In the Publishing Options, simply check off the options for the PC Flash Projector File. (see note below if you are creating a dual-platform CD-ROM)

2. Put all of your .bat files and .exe files and support documents into a folder called "fscommand." Otherwise, it will not work. Make sure you place the PC Flash Projector File, autorun.inf and the fscommand folder in the same root folder.

3. Burn a test CD and give it a try.

You can only see if the code works once you properly assemble all of your files and put them on a test CD.

DUAL-PLATFORM CD-ROM

If you plan to make your CD-ROM dual platform for both PC and Mac users, you cannot use .exe or .bat files for Mac computers. You will need to use Applescript. Earlier in this thread I showed an example of an Applescript equivalent to the PC's .exe/.bat code. Unfortunately, you will need an Apple computer to write the Applescripts. If you do not have one, then please contact a friend who does have a Mac to assist you. Macs contain a utility program called "ScriptEditor." One can write Applescrips in ScriptEditor and save the script as an application. If you need more info about this, make another request on this thread.

You'll need to generate a Mac Projector File once you input the appropriate fscommands for the Mac-side.

Good luck,
    Terrence
    nycomet

It's still not working and I think I know why. Do I have to specify the program in the .bat file? Like, Acrobat Reader? Otherwise, I can't figure out what is going wrong....I tried writing Acrobat, Acrobat Reader, ect..in the .bat file. Do I have to pack Reader onto the CD and THEN call it in the .bat?

Thanks for your help nycomet- I'll figure this out yet!

miakazi

I got it!

Congratulations!

It's amazing how great Northcode's proxy.exe works! Glad you were able to figure it out and make it work for you!

To my surprise, the simple Applescript on the Mac side is showing a few glitches in Mac OS 9.1, but not in any previous Mac operating systems (9.0 works fine). I also suspect OS X is problematic as well.

It's a Mac thing. At least the PC side is working like a charm!

nycomet@optonline.net
    nycomet

SWF Studio

Northcode,

Must I have SWF Studio to achieve everything that's being talked about in this thread??

T-Bone

No. In fact, if you have SWF Studio you don't need these utilities. I wrote PROXY and 2DESKTOP to help people that can't afford a solution like SWF Studio (and other third party apps).

Choose Location

Northcode,

You are an awesome man for making these utilities. Is there a way to choose where to download the file?

Thanks,

T-Bone

2DESKTOP always copies files to the users desktop. The application would have to display the standard Windows File Save dialog to let the user choose their own destination.

Northcode,

Is there another product I can use to do that? Preferrably a free utility?

Thanks,

T-Bone

None that I know of except for maybe another FREE utility I just wrote called Copy2.

The syntax is exactly the same as the 2Desktop utility (because it's a hacked up version of 2Desktop). The main difference is that Copy2 will pop up a standard Windows File Save dialog to let the user select the destination.

Check out the documentation in the zip file, give it a whirl and let me know what you think.

Note: test before deploying this, it's brand spanking new and there may yet be bugs to find
    Last edited by Northcode; 02-16-2004 at 03:44 AM.

File Extension

Northcode,

WOW! That is awesome... One thing that is happening (don't know if it's my fault) is that when the download window is displayed, the file does not have a file extension.

DOWNLOAD WINDOW:

--------------------------------------

--------------------------------------
    File name: FinalReport
    Save as type: *.*

Did yours come up with kitten.jpg or just kitten when you went to save??

Hopefully I can figure this out...

Thank you soo much for your time!

T-Bone

Hmmm, I didn't check at the time, but according to my screen capture (in copy2.rtf) it said kitten.jpg. Is Windows set to "hide extensions for known file types"? If so, that would hide the extension in the File Save dialog.

I'm actually not at my computer right now, but regardless of whether hiding the file extensions on my computer is on or off, I will be distributing my cd-rom to 21 other classmates, of whom I will not know whether they have the file extensions turned on or off.

Is there any way to solve this problem no matter what?

Here is exactly what is happening when I save:

-The "Save as" box appears
    -In the "File name" box, it reads the name of my report w/out file extension ("FinalReport")
    -After I choose a location, I choose "Save" and it saves it to that location as an unassociated file, i.e. when I double-click the new icon, it doesn't know which program to use to open the file.

I don't think my classmates will be perceptive enough to add a file extension to the file before they save.

Thank you so much for taking all this time for me.

T-Bone