A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Northcode's Runtime.exe verses Proxy.exe

I'm retarded

OK...figured it out. everything works great. one question. Is it possbile to tweak the SmartExec script to take into account Windows, OS9 and OSX instead of just windows and everything else. This would help to get around the Applescript incompatibility between 9 and X.

Don't know if its possible though.

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    You don't get the version of the OS from $version, the best you can do there is MAC or WIN. However, I suspect that you can get the OS version from AppleScript. As long as it's possible to build and AppleScript that works on both platforms that should do it. I'll check into this. Inquiring minds want to know...

crap

Thanks for the info. i just don't know enough about actionscripting. Hopefully I can find something. If not, I can just make the CD so that it will run the OS9 versions of the scripts. Those should at least run in classic in OSX

Northcode, you're my hero now too.

I just was crunching on a deadline and needed to do the exact same thing when I was directed to this forum and found this thread. It worked out very well for me. You're brilliant.

Hey Northcode,

First up, cheers for the apps, the patience, and the help!

Second, I have a question about your proxie.exe ...

With the old Flash 5 standalone player, you could call a bat with the exec fscommand, and you could send perameters to the bat by tabbing them out. eg:

st = "save.bat" add chr(9) add "param_1" add chr(9) add "param_n";
    fscommand("exec", st);

Then in the bat, just set the params as vars. eg:

SET VAR1=%1
    SET VARn=%n

Can you call the proxie.exe with params as above, and have it pass the params to the bat?

If not, is there a way around this?

Cheers heaps,

Jamin.
    Last edited by jamin; 05-04-2004 at 12:08 PM.

Help regarding proxie.exe problem

Hi Northcode,
    Firstly thanks for producing such a useful flash utility (proxie.exe). I have been battling with this problem for some while.

I have used it and it work for me addressing other projector files but I am trying to get it to open a Word file (myfile.doc). It is partly working in the sence that it open the Word application but the file that it should be opening is now where to be seen. I have tested the proxie.exe and it works but when I run it through the projector it only open up the Word application.

I am using "on Release" in connection with a button. The other buttons are working but for some reason this one is not. Its not a button problem as far as I can see.

My question to you is, is there a reason that the proxie.exe will not open up the Word file but only the application. Is there a solution to this problem.

Thanks for your help.
    You have started a small revolution in Flash linking.

Hi ticktack, how are you opening the DOC file in your BAT file and what version of Word are you using?
    Last edited by Northcode; 06-18-2004 at 11:24 AM.

Hey jamin, I think we talked about this before didn't we? Maybe it was someone else, this thread is getting pretty long Anyhow, the ability to pass arguments to proxy, and have them passed on to the bat file, was added a while back. This is from the latest PROXY help file...

The commandline parameter is optional and will be passed to the BAT file. You can't passs command line parameters to external applications from Flash MX or Flash MX 2004, but if you are using Flash 5 and you separate your parameters with tabs, Proxy will replace the tabs in your command line with spaces.
    You can download the latest version from http://www.northcode.com/misc/proxy.zip. This one also fixed a problem in Windows 98 where the BAT files were left hanging around (invisibly) after they finished.

Help - proxie.exe problem

Hi Northcode,
    I think that it must be not finding the appropriate file.

The file layout on the CD is as follows

Autorun.inf
    myicon.ico
    readme.txt
    CV\myworddoc.doc
    Presentation\Presentation.exe
    menu\menu.exe ( - where the buttons are executed with )
    Code:
    on (release) {
        fscommand("exec","myworddoc.exe");
    }
    on (release) {
        fscommand("exec","presents.exe");
    }
    menu\fscommand\myworddoc.exe
    menu\fscommand\myworddoc.bat
    myworddoc.bat code is:-
    Code:
    start \CV\myworddoc.doc
    menu\fscommand\presents.exe
    menu\fscommand\presents.bat
    presents.bat code is:-
    Code:
    start \Presentation\Presentation.exe
    Thats the basic layout. The presentation works fine but for some reason the Word file (myworddoc.doc) is not opening. The Application is opening but not the file its self. Do you see any problem in this file structure or code? I have used this file structure in order to keep the files organised. Reading one of your last posts it should be fine as long as the proxie.exe and proxie.bat files are placed in the fscommand directory next to the projector file. The .bat file then redirects the pointing of the file to the \CV\myworddoc.doc file. Is this correct because it appears to work for the other link (presentation.exe), which is another projector file.
    I'd appreciate any help.
    Thanks for your help.

You don't need to use Start with presentation.exe, you can just run the executable directly. If you move presentation.exe into the FScommand folder then you don't even need to use proxy to launch it. The only reason to use proxy would be if presentation.exe needs to load some other files that you want to keep all in the same directory and not in fscommand.

If word is getting launched then start can read the file name (to know it's a DOC file) but for some reason that's not getting passed to Word.

Can you try moving the DOC file into the FScommand folder and changing your start command to something like this..

start file.doc

The only other thing I can think of is that somehow the registry entry that tells Windows what application to use to open DOC files has been modified so that it doesn't work any more. Can you still double click on DOC files and have them open without errors?

Thanks Northcode

Thnaks for you help.
    I moved the file directly into the fscommand folder and all works well. It means that the file structure is a little more messy but at least it works. Thanks again

Great thread and sure looks like it is going to help me out with my current project.

One question though - my client has asked if acrobat reader can be put on the CDR0M and in the event that a user does not have acrobat reader on their PC, it uses acrobat reader from the CDROM. When I say use acrobat reader from CDROM, I do not mean install it from the CDROM but instead have the application executable and associated files on the CDROM which can be used to launch a chosen pdf file.

If this is not possible using the proxy.exe bat file method, can anyone suggest if and how this could be achieved.

Many thanks

Paul

This article (link below) from my web site talks about how to use Acrobat Reader from a CD with SWF Studio (my product) but it has other info you need i.e. the minimum file list to get this working without SWF Studio. The article talks about Acrobat Reader 5. The same thing works the version 6, but the minimum file list is different.

Using ACRORD32.EXE with SWF Studio
    http://www.northcode.com/resources/acro/acro.html

Thanks for the info.

So is is possible to lauch a pdf file using ACRORD32.EXE without using SWF Studio?

I assume RunOrg is part of SWF Studio and that I cannot use this command if I do not have SWF Studio?

Thanks

Paul

Can I put my pdf files in a separate folder on the CDROM? Does this have to be within fscommand folder OR can it be outside it?

Thanks

Paul

The trick that RUNORG makes possible is changing the current directory to the folder where the Acrobat executable is. You can do this easily from a BAT file with the CD command. After that the files you open can be anywhere you like on the CD. The only thing that has to go in the FSCommand folder is the BAT file and the renamed copy of PROXY.EXE.

Thanks Northcode.

Not quite sure how what you suggest is done. Can you show me some example code.

Say for example I want to put my pdf files in a folder called "media" on the root of the CDROM.

If I want to launch a pdf called "readme.pdf" which is in this folder, what would be the name and contents of the bat file inside the fscommand folder to do this?

Also if it is not too difficult to explain, if I have an "acrobat" folder also in the root of the CDROM, how would the code use this version of acrobat to launch the pdf file?

Many thanks

Paul

Proxy only halfway working w/ MS Word.

Hi Northcode

Your Proxy.exe utility is a great, however I'm having inconsistent success with it.

I am having a similar problem that ticktack had earlier in the thread: using proxy works somewhat-- it opens the correct application but doesn't open the actual doc file. (I am trying to open MS Word docs from a Flash projector on PC)

If MS Word is already open and I click on the button to open the doc file it works correctly. Is there a bug in the proxy app or is this a Word thing?

Directly clicking on the renamed proxy.exe file opens the doc correctly, as well as clicking on the .bat file. The doc types are correctly associated with Word--they have the correct icon and double clicking them opens correctly.

Please note that I've applied the proxy.exe usage to some Excel, PDF and JPG files in the same project and they works perfectly.

The only thing I can think of is that some of my file names are kind of long. ie. "Frequently_Asked_Questions.doc", though I didn't think that should matter.

All of my files are in the FSCOMMAND folder, all of the .bat files contain "start filename.doc" (they all worked correctly before using proxy.exe). I'm using Flash MX (not 2004), Windows XP and Office XP.

Sorry for bringing up kind of an old subject, but I just can't figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks so much
    -dnad

If you use long file names then you have to quote the file names or they won't be handled properly, for example...

use:
    start "c:\my documents\whatever.doc"

instead of
    start c:\my documents\whatever.doc

pdf launch

Hi Ny comet

Im trying to place an applescript file which launches a pdf - but cant seem to get it to work.

The applescript file works, (ie it launches the correct file with acrobat) but when i use
    on (release)
    fscommand ("exec", M001pdf_script)

nothing happens. I have placed the applescript file in the same folder as the mac projector....

can somebody please help?