A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How is the latest MX? On a Mac, just about the most sluggish thing ever? Thought so.

How is the latest MX? On a Mac, just about the most sluggish thing ever? Thought so.

I know most of you have probably moved onto the next gen Flash MX, and I'm a little curious as to how it's going, as I'm still in the first gen of MX, 6.0 (Studio). I've been using Flash since Version 2(?) '98 and have faithfully upgraded to new versions regularly as they have been released, but not anymore.

Since roughly the release of 4, I've gotten less and less satisfaction out of working in Flash, and more and more ongoing issues with the way the application behaves. Am I the only one?

When I went to 5, I had hopes that the problems would have been dealt with, but they weren't and then again, when I went to MX, I hoped things would get better, but really, nothing's changed, and I'm not gonna plunk down hundreds of dollars for an even MORE throttled-down application that does a lot of things I don't care about and only barely performs the simple web and illustration needs that I DO have.

For those who care this what I've got: a Mac g4 running Panther (performs just as sluggishly as it did with Jaguar, which was slightly better than OS 9), a GB of RAM, and files as small as a single 470 x 430 px jpg that I'm working on (flattening colors to convert a photo of a person to a "drawing" of a person) which are going into a very small Flash file (some buttons, no other bitmaps).

And yet, the program continously forgets what my Wacom tablet does, doesn't scroll properly, and generally just behaves like I'm asking it to do the impossible. And that's what it ends up being: impossible to get any sort of sense of work flow going so I can finish what I started.

Does ANYONE share my sentiments? Basically what I'm saying is am I the only one who's gotten a little tired of Macromedia's style, which is to release new versions without dealing with what seem to be longstanding performance issues?

Hi,
    Im running a g4 800 with 512 ram, under panther and flash 6 mx runs very well.
    I love Oren Ishii!