A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: unexpected File format?

unexpected File format?

Please tell me why, oh WHY can't I openan MX file in the newere MX 2004? Every time I do it goves me an unexpected file format error message? What am I doing wrong? Do I have to import it? I simply can't believe that Macromedia would be stupid enough to have NO backwards compatibility in the new software. Please HELP!
    -Mike
    =============================

FLASH PORTFOLIO

DESIGN PORTFOLIO

STORYBOARDS

FILMS

This has been asked many times on the forums. Have you searched for "unexpected file format"?

Was the old MX files created on a Mac, and you are trying to open them on a PC or vice versa? That can cause some problems. If not, then the following could be the problem:

From macromedia's site:

Crash opening MX files - topic update: 11/11/03

Issue
    Some customers report that Macromedia Flash MX 2004 crashes when they open files created in Macromedia Flash MX. This seems to be system-specific so far.

Solution
    One known cause of this issue is the use of a cracked version of Macromedia Flash MX 2004.

To test the files against a legitimate installation, completely uninstall all previous Flash MX 2004 versions, then install the 30-day trial of Flash and test the same files.

If you are experiencing this with the legitimate version or the trial version of Flash MX 2004, if you are running version 7.0 (September, 2003), try updating to version 7.0.1 (November 11, 2003).

Yes I did search and came up with nothing which is why I asked here. No it's not from a Mac just PC to PC. I think there's something else wrong though as I also discovered that 2004 wouldn't open at all on my PC. I just uninstalled it until I can figure out why.
    -Mike

FLASH PORTFOLIO

DESIGN PORTFOLIO

STORYBOARDS

FILMS

BTW: Saw your Sonic Engine!
    That is the coolest thing I've EVER seen in Flash! I love trying to make games myself but I'm horrible at coding stuff. I'm more the animtion end of it, being in that business but I love games and I love Sonic. I got constiantly 47-48 fps too. Really well done! Any thought on what your original game will be?
    -Mike

FLASH PORTFOLIO

DESIGN PORTFOLIO

STORYBOARDS

FILMS