A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: www.open-design.be

www.open-design.be

Hi everybody !

this is my personal website with a personal design.
    Take your time when visiting it !
    It's a little bit slow but it's wanted...
    The content is not the most important part of the siteweb. I wanted a very visual site which is not quickly visited but which is discovered (is that the right word ?...)

www.open-design.be

thanks.

ps : sorry for the faults of language, I speak french.

animations

Too slow for a re visit...

Yeah Yeah, It was someone
    else... I swear I didn't do it, and that goes for me too!

Everything looks really nice but it is way too slow. Do you really need to draw each line of body copy letter by letter? It's there to read not to be looked at. It took about 30 seconds for your email address to finally appear in the contact section by which time most people would be bored of waiting.

From a visual point of view it's very nice and the site has a nice feel to it but from a usability point of view, the slowness really lets it down. Speed it up (quite a bit) and lose some of the fat and you'll have a nice site.

Nice Textures, Nice Scripting for text and very nice mask effect.
    It is a bit slow. Im thinking increase your frame rate to 40 a sec.

I use 40 alot now =)
    Calîper Head

nice concept but... when you say slow...
    man is it slow...
    i like the textures.
    Have a wonderful day!
    http://www.gpathmedia.com!

slow is THE word, I know...
    I will try to speed it up a little.
    I think I will work on a new and faster version.

...but thanks anyway for your comments. I really appreciate it.

yes, i like the overall appearance, but (you know what I'm going to say)... way to slow. Just bumping up the frame rate is not the best solution either. Macromedia states:

"Movies which have been set with a high frame rate (30-120 frames per second) may consume more system resources (CPU cycles). A machine may be forced to work too hard to achieve this higher frame rate, reducing overall system performance. To prevent this, set the frame rate of the movie close to the actual target rate. Use 15 to 18 frames per second as a guideline."

You need to take a look at optimizing your graphics which I think are resulting in a large swf file size and maybe limit the number of gradients you use.

Where did I put that pen?
    your use of color is fantastic, and the navigation is simple/well done. Even a person who, unfortunately, speaks no french can navigate your site easily.

If the front page is left the way it is, and all of the "interior" pages, acueil, servces, dev, and contact are changed so they type does not have a motion/fade in associated with it, the site would probably move at a much more tollerable rate.

What size type is the copy you're working with? It seems a bit small for the reversed values. The size type that your email address comes in at/the font your using is a bit easier to read than the text that appears in the message area in the contact section.

L

All my work runs at 63 fps... usually i purposely make them non-resource intensive as i can though...
    Have a wonderful day!

Yeah I think it’s safe to say that you can use a higher frame rate than 20 but with good judgment on optimization.

For overall smooth animation 30 frames to 60 I think is fine but only if you have one or 2 things moving. But I don't think Macromedia tells you the fact that it can be done using good judgment in balance of animations, image file size, and the measuring size of your objects and there attendance on the stage.
    Calîper Head

vector algorithims become too huge for processors nowadays to handle or we'd see much more extensive use of processor intensive stuff. simple as that.
    Have a wonderful day!

Usama

hmmmmmmmmmmm

Dear, The site cool in its design. I want email u but i think i will take some mins. Any how the site is very good specially the masking is cool. SLOW! Yes the site is bit slow because of complex animation and the timing of masking effect.

BYE
    Usama Zulfiqar
    www.mzosama.cjb.net

first of all, thanks. It's always nice (and usefull) to have some feedback from people we don't know (and who know what we are talking about)
    I know for the visibility of the selected font. It's sometimes too small.
    The text effects take a lot of ressources because (I think) the font is too complex. I will look for another font optimized for flash.

It was the first version. Now, I have to optimize all the effects and the animations.
    I will work on it when I will have some time.

Thanks again.