A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: design feedback

design feedback

I am throwing a promo site together (quickly) and it's very simple right now, but I want to jazz it up a bit more for a big promo event next week.

www.nancytaylordesign.com

I am thinking of animating the text/content entry on each of the movies that load when buttons are pressed. How I do this to flow with the design is obviously key. That's a start, but I'd love another eye or two.
    seapod00

Hi a few things i would do

on the 1st page put Click here to enter of something similar, i thought it was loading something... and it would jump into life after loading, there are some very wealthy clients out there who are v poor on computers, help them along..

i dont like the main font u use and i'm not 100% keen on the pink moving about (distracting while u read) with the greatest of respect what you are doing could be done in HTML (more google friendly etc)

if it was mine i would have flash buttons that looked really cool and html main text (that search engines will read) embedded in an html page (nice pink background) keep the spinny thing at the bottom and add text based navigation at the very bottom of the page as most search engines cant follow flash links

eg ---| projects | Clients | etc | etc |---

also i guess u are using a sniffer on the front page, if u want a search engine to find u get rid of it, i had one on one of my sites and google hated it, binned it google loves the site again..

if u want to be found on the web u have to rework the site, or do what 2advanced have done and make a really really impressive site that everyone talks about it = they will find you

i would have index page that links to eg contact page, if the flash is minimal (eg buttons only + spinny thing) then it will cache and when eg contact page loads it will already be in the computer so it does nt need to load again = super fast

at the end of the day its entirely up to you flash is ace when used in certain ways but sometimes its not essential

if u are going to do it all in flash its got to be really good = massive amount of time and effort, if not have some nice flash bits mixed with html

i like the spinny thing, buttons need looking at

bp

That was amazingly thorough. Thanks.

I agree with you that if it's Flash, it should be amazing or just have a few Flash bits + be html. I've seen sites that play Flash in certain places if you have the player and just put a static .jpg up if you don't have Flash. I like that. No asking someone to download a player. Do you have such a detection script?

The pink moving background is just a juice sucker, I agree with you.

What about the Univers font don't you like? I agree that it's showing up a bit crummy (don't know why), but it's a classic design font. Appeals to a wide crowd usually.

Double thanks. I would like to make it a great Flash site eventually. Build it up slowly between paying gigs.
    seapod00

Originally posted by seapod00
    What about the Univers font don't you like? I agree that it's showing up a bit crummy (don't know why), but it's a classic design font. Appeals to a wide crowd usually.
    the font is good (used it many times on a mac for print work) this is how i see it (see attatched cropped section)

i have a detection script, but as i said thats just entering a world of pain if u want the site to appear on google

i have been looking into SEO (search engine optimisation) for the past months if you put a sniffer page in as an index/default page you may as well not bother submitting the page to any search engines all they will hit is the sniffer (brick wall)

mb there are search engine friendly ones out there...

i would have a splash page saying "we do this, we do that text" click here for 'flash enhanced version' click here for 'normal version' all in html text and have 2 versions of the site one with flash stuff as we covered and one with jpegs

google reads the text of the html pages (not meta tags) no text = no rating (they are one of the worlds biggest search engines) i would replace the main text to veranda (ok on mac and pc)

bp
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm not super worried about search engine stuff. I'm doing marketing directed at the people I want to snag anyway, and of the friends that own design companies, none of them has ever gotten work from someone finding them on the web randomly, unless they were linked from Comm Arts or something like that.

Have you gotten complete strangers who became paying clients just from them finding you in a search engine? I'm not saying it isn't possible, I'm just saying that I've never heard of it happening. And Joe Shmoe doesn't usually know about 2advanced.com unless they saw a link on Flashkit or some other place that would direct them there. (Comm Arts, etc.)

~~~~~~~~~~

Design question: I'm thinking of ditching the pink and going for a green or blue to be determined. What do you think?
    seapod00