dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Arrgghh! Just how hard can this be?

Arrgghh! Just how hard can this be?

Right! I've been on every forum on every Flash website and I just can't find an answer to what has to be a simple problem (well not so simple for me)

Could someone please kindly explain how I can reference an image on a server (.jpg) whereby I can change that image and it will update dynamically on my desktop within my flash application (.exe)

I'm not trying to be clever and create multiple thumbnails and gallerys, as I say all I want to do is update 1 image dynamically.

Thanks in advance - PULLING MY HAIR OUT

Mick

There should be a few different ways to do this. You could add a refresh meta tag to your html code and have it refresh the page automatically every 30 seconds or something. If you need to refresh it the moment the image has changed on disk, then you would need to detect that by running some kind of process in the background that is detecting that the date of the image has changed. The background process could set a cookie and you could pick up this value in javascript or you could set a value in a file that flash could pick up. It would really help to know what your process is for updating the image on disk. If that process could just update a tiny file with the current date when it is changed, then you should easily be able to update the image.

My Flash application is a .exe running on my desktop

The image resides on a server

Cheers

Mick