A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: borderless/pop up flash movie

borderless/pop up flash movie

I've been trying to figure out how to make a flash app that pops up separately from the browser - its like a preview to an application or movie that has no border. I've seen them displayed for movie reviews, etc. Basically they are not in a window but the size and shape of the movie is dependent on what the movie contains, ie. an oval or something with a close button that has no border and transparent background.

If anyone has any idea on how I can go about this, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks

Boarderless flash.

Use Quicktime.

Quicktime will play flash and you can make the QT player any masked shape you want. The details can be found on apples website. Warning you might have to change your swf export settings to an older version of flash. Last I tried this I had to go all the way back to version 4 but I think apples might have addressed this.

http://developer.apple.com/quicktime/

I've only tested the concept but never really used it in production. I saw it in a flash book somewhere. Good luck.

--Mike

moved here, I think someone here might be able to help.

I know what your taking about.... I can't figure it out either.
    I see it a lot on the cover of Yahoo. It's like swf movie is embeded into a table .... then it extends out and floats over the rest of the HTML. I wonder if it has anything to do with layers / z-index. Hope someone has the answer.

wmode transparent

What your talking about is easy as a walk in the dark.

Create a layer where ever you want to flash to materialize from.

add the following to the flash <object> param list

<param name="wmode" value="transparent">

This means window mode is transparent, in other words the background of your flash movie won't exist.

See http://www.spiritskateshop.com for an example. click on the little green box with the arrow in it on the left near the top of the screen... you'll see a flash movie over the top of a flash movie. Both movies have to have wmode=transparent in order for them to stack up with out masking each other.

Making your flash play outside of the browser in it's own shaped window can be done with quicktime but making it appear to walk accross the web page is easy as layers and an extra param tag.

Mike

Great thanks for the info....
    BTW- just in case you didn't know - the last link on the green arrow tab menu
    http://www.spiritskateboards.com/
    is broken.

Can't wait to try it.
    ~Danielle

I know the link is broke.

Yeah there's a Domain issue that I'm taking care of. I hate network solutions.