A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Starting up a Business

Starting up a Business

How u doing I am currently a multimedia design student and have decided to start doing a bit of free lance work in my spare time.
    The problem is that Im not 100% sure how I go about it.
    Buying web space and a domain name off a server and then creating my site isnt a problem, im just wondering how do I set up my clients site. Would I be best buying webspace/ domain name from the same server that I would be using or do I take a different approach.

Also can anyone recommend any cheap but reliable webservers. Baring in mind that Iam still a student I cant afford anything too expensive.

Also can u recommend a modest price that I should charge per site (say 5 page site).

Thanks very much.

FK's official coffee addict gasbag15's Avatar
    Here is the BEST web host (don't listen to anyone else )
    http://www.readyhosting.com

Cheers, however im a uk resident so it would probably be more conveinient to go with a uk based server.

What about setting up my clients site, should I but the space from the same server I use?

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    This should be over in the Boardroom.

I'm sure that a friendly mod (are there any other types? - Oh, I forgot GMF ) will direct this thread over there shortly.

Don't panic.

Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™

../Boardroom

moved

im friendly

if you have a good host, you can recommend it for the client. alternatively, you can get your own reseller/VPS/dedicated server and do your own hosting and make a little extra residual income.

personally i prefer the latter. not because of the little extra money but because it makes your clients life easier and you stay in contact with them. then if they need any other design services they'll most likely come back to you (if they liked your service).
    Bill Erickson: resume | portfolio
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4
    Great Designs for $100

Cheers for the reply.
    So should I send the details for the server to the client in order for them to register and buy the space or should I buy the space/name from the server myself, and then begin designing the site.

Sorry if my questions seem abit stupid, just have no idea how to go about beginning client work, I just want to be 100% on everything before I start.
    Last edited by cemac; 01-08-2004 at 06:36 PM.

remember, you're the expert - not the client. if you tell the client "do you want this plan with 100mbs of space and 5 gbs of transfer" he will not understand a word you are saying. you should pick out a plan that you feel will best suit the site and explain it to the client. leave some breathing room but make sure you're with a host that you could upgrade the hosting package later on if the site needs more. But most importantly, get a good host...one with great support and good servers.

the two i recommend are www.mediatemple.net and www.midphase.com . currently i have a reseller account with autica, a midphase subsidiary, and its great.

if you want to make money from hosting, get a good reseller acct (i recommend midphase/autica) and come up with a reasonable price for your clients. Don't abuse it though. i've heard of some web developers charging clients $100/month for 50mbs of space and 1 gb transfer because the client didn't know any better. nowadays most clients will look online to see if the price is reasonable, but still, don't ruin your client relationship to get a few extra bucks.

if you arent interested in making a few extra dollars by reselling, just find a good host that you will recommend to all your clients. but remember, you are the professional, so set it up for them. Buy their domain for/with them (under their name of course), purchase their hosting for/with them and upload all the necessary files for/with them. Don't just deliver a cd with the site on it and expect them to figure out how to do everything else.
    Bill Erickson: resume | portfolio
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4
    Great Designs for $100

Cheers thats helped me alot