A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Grebick is a WUSS (nah nah)

Or a little more quieter

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

Sorry, gerbs. Can't back you up on this then.

Last time I downloaded the trial, it trashed my comp.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.

Gerbick's arch Nemisis
    Originally posted by ViRGo_RK
    What are the submissions judged on?
    Here are some details from the Official Page
    --------------------------------
    What will be Judged?

We will be looking at the following items in your files, and it's recommended you do pay attention to these:

* Originality
    * Game Expansion (levels, characters, timers)
    * Game Detail (audio, graphics, environment)
    * Creative use of original code (provided in PDF chapter)
    * Creative Expansion of game concepts
    * Optimisation Tricks
    * File size vs Game Play (ie: small file, great graphics and game play)

You can do almost anything but you must use the base code provided in the PDF Chapter for your files, this gives everyone a level playing feild. There will be prizes for graphis and for code, so don't tell us you can't enter because you can't code or can't draw. If you use and play with flash (and can read) then you can enter!

-----------------------
    Number of Entries: unlimited
    What to submit: both FLA and final SWF in a single ZIP FILE
    Size Restrictions: your zip file must NOT exceed 1meg in size
    File Restrictions: your swf may NOT contain a preloader, your file MUST be built in Macromedia Flash MX 2004, and exported as Flash 7 (check below for link to Flash MX 2004 demo)
    ------------------------------

Note the bold bit at the end, DUE to the code that is provided it must be built in MX 2004 or MX 2004 Pro .. BUT you can use the 30-Day-Trial version which we link to at the bottom of the page.

Gerbick's arch Nemisis
    Originally posted by hurricaneone
    Mr K, I think you need to choose your battles more carefully in the future. [/B]
    Bah .. I set his target lower this time, gotta be gentle on the old fart ... He at least has a SHOT at this one he e he

Gerbick's arch Nemisis
    Originally posted by swampy
    Closed.

Mr.K you need to change your title as you are not a moderator. cheers.
    Feel free to change it .. I didn't put that in there .. I was a Moderator here on Flash Kit for a LONG time ... *smile*

//edit// Oh I see you did

Question: I have MX, and have an offer from MM to upgrade to 2004 for free. I've heard some bad stuff about 04; what's the popular opinion?

As this is my work machine, I still need to be able to do the stuff I'm used to in MX; can you still code in AS 1?

</stupid questions>
    Hush child. japangreg can do what he wants. - PAlexC
    That was Zen - this is Tao.

Ah I have to enter the competition I see. Maybe you should have made that a little clearer in your first post Mr. K instead of trying to entice gerbick (unless of course that was your plan to confuse people, and so give gerbick less chance of winning).

I'm afraid I might have to let you down on this one gerbick.

So when does gerbick challenge Mr. K to then?

Gerbick's arch Nemisis
    Originally posted by japangreg
    Question: I have MX, and have an offer from MM to upgrade to 2004 for free. I've heard some bad stuff about 04; what's the popular opinion?

As this is my work machine, I still need to be able to do the stuff I'm used to in MX; can you still code in AS 1?

</stupid questions>
    Hey there

Good questions, and I too initially heard a lot of negative things about Flash MX 2004, but hey any app is going to have it's downers.

Flash MX 2004 doens't replace AS 1 with AS 2, you can use both or just continue with AS 1, heck you can even save AS flash MX so you can open files in an older version later!

I would suggest getting the 2004 trial, it runs FINE beside MX and will not interfere with it. you can then make your own judgements. I found MX 2004 a bit daughting when I started with it .. but it's growing on me ... I'm getting used to it.... just like the change from Flash 5 to Flash MX

Get the trial ... it's worth it even so you can make your own choice to run or not to run with it

I just recently made the switch to MX (hence the free upgrade offer) so I'm worried about learning-curving myself out of any productivity (which is unlikely, seeing as I only use it to make games during lunch)

I guess I can just get the upgrade... as long as I don't have to learn an entirely new AS to use the dang thing.

Thanks, Mr. K.
    Hush child. japangreg can do what he wants. - PAlexC
    That was Zen - this is Tao.

It's okay. If it doesn't kill your machine.

Gerbick's arch Nemisis
    Originally posted by ViRGo_RK
    It's okay. If it doesn't kill your machine.
    Your the only person I've heard that it killed their machine. Did you look into why? ... there could be HEAPS of reasons ...

the problems with MX2004 (at least in this office) went away with the 7.01 patch.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

If you gusy prefer to do stuff in MX rather than 2004 and that is what is keeping you away from entering, then why not just do the maze in MX, download the trial 2004, open it in 2004 and export as flash 7? Just a thought...

Gerbick's arch Nemisis
    Originally posted by 1andonly
    If you gusy prefer to do stuff in MX rather than 2004 and that is what is keeping you away from entering, then why not just do the maze in MX, download the trial 2004, open it in 2004 and export as flash 7? Just a thought...
    Now that is some CLEVER thinking ...

I was thinking of something like that, but I'm still a little uneasy. I know I shouldn't, with the patch (which I didn't know about), but I'm just paranoid I guess.

To be honest, I didn't really like it that much when it did work.

Originally posted by 1andonly
    or just change the version of the swf from 6 to 7 with this tool http://www.9elements.com/convert2f7.zip

or this online tool
    http://www.quasimondo.com/qm_versionconverter.php

or look in the comments of this post:
    http://www.quasimondo.com/archives/000278.php

some links to other converters

Last edited by argonauta; 01-10-2004 at 01:42 AM.
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.

Gerbick's arch Nemisis
    Originally posted by argonauta
    or just change the version of the swf from 6 to 7 with this tool http://www.9elements.com/convert2f7.zip
    We are judging both the SWF and FLA so if we open your FLA and Flash says "Oh look I've had to convert this to MX 2004" we'll know it was an older type file he he he

no you want! hehe, if you first code it in Flash MX and then open it in FLash 2004 then Im sure that the actionscript will be changed accordingly. All you have to do is then export it to Flash 7 and save the original .fla in Flash 2004. Voila! hehehe. You'd think that people would ask you to make files compatible with Flash 5 or 'older' versions of Flash, not vice versa! lol.

Btw, ViRGo_RK, what OS are you running? I've had the liberty of having multiple OS' installed and can tell you that I had never had problems with 2004 on (Windows) 98SE, ME, 2K & 2K pro, XP and XP pro. I've been collecting Windows versions for several years now and have almost every single version of Windows (3.1 included heehee). Maybe some other app caused your PC to be screwed up? Hmmm....
    Last edited by 1andonly; 01-10-2004 at 05:09 AM.

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™
    Originally posted by GMF ™
    I like to be spanked
    wheres the spank ?

my *** is getting cold

Heaters work well.

And really. I want a body count, GMF. How many naughty boys have you banned?