A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash vs DHTML

angel

Lightbulb

Just a question...what is Flash compared to DHTML and vice versa? What can it be able to do compared to the other in terms of design, functions and scripting etc? I'm trying to compare these 2 so I can like sell the idea of Flash to my boss Any solid reasons??

FK founder & general loiterer Flashkit's Avatar
    Flash is compaitble across all browser types pretty well, DHTML is well, ummm, not.

angel
    err that's all? I was hoping for more...heheh Thanks anyways. Much appreciated.

DHTML

is browser specific, but you can design it so that it can be cross-browser and as long as its 4.x of either browser it works. Check this site out: http://dynamicdrive.com, it gives free source to LEARN from like flashkit but if you use it give credit! Keep in mind, Flash is more of a TOTAL solution, DHTML is just effects unless you want to spend a ton of time on developing a site. The bad side of flash, you have to have the plug-in/update...or a site that offers two flavors (html and flash), I am finding people are afraid to download anything b/c of the virus scares lately....

For me, DHTML, is good for something more upscale than javascript, but it does not encompass FLASH, but find out if your customer(job, contract etc.) is willing to lose hits to someone not downloading the macromedia plug-ing/update...Flash is the future, sell them on that and reference this site, its the place that the future of the internet will grow...

angel

Smile

Ahh... thanks for the info. It's really a great help! ...have to get my hands into DHTML for comparisons...although I'm still all out for Flash.

hi,
    i've dabbled quite a bit with dhtml and the cross browser, cross platform, browser version issues you have to consider are a pain. though people dislike plug-ins, the percentage of current flash enabled browsers is at 89.9% and with so many big corps. sold on flash, a lot of people who don't have it are getting it. but as far as flash vs. dhtml, i consider flash far more productive as well. the time it takes for a developer to create a simple menu system in flash should be much shorter than to do it in dhtml... and plus, it can look so much better! well, hope that helps some.

dave

angel
    Thanks for the help nydave. I think that will make a very good reason to tell the customer to forget DHTML and go all out for Flash already especially when it comes to cross browser, cross platform, browser version issues. Million thanks.....

fhobia
    Both DHTML and Flash have their problems...