A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Tablet and Pen...anyone use em?

Smile

Anyone have any recommendations for a Tablet and Pen set up (looking to try one with Flash and maybe Photoshop)

Table and pen

Hi,
    I have used Wacom table about three years now, and I have used it with Flash and Photoshop.It is much better to draw with table and pen, and after short while it is easy to use it even in menus.I recommend to buy table and pen, they really are good tools in drawing work.

Regards
    Markku Hyttinen

Aniway - Multimedia, 3D/2D-Animation and Internet
    Laivalahdenkaari 22 B 30
    00810 HELSINKI
    puh. (09) 727 4469

email: aniway@aniway.fi
    http://www.aniway.fi (only in Finnish at current time)

Senior Moderator
    Yes i recommedn the wacom tablet!!i have an A4 tablet and it is great check out http://www.wacom.com for more information!!!

SilvrWolf,

I also use the Wacom pen/tablet, and highly reccomend them. I have used an Acecat in the past (It's been quite a while), and have to say that not only are the Wacom tablets affordable, but you definately get a great product for the price. The Graphire pen/tablets are a great deal (I haven't used one myself, but have gotten pretty good feedback from some I know who have). If you can afford it, I would go with the Intuos. Even the smaller sizes of these are good (I actually prefer the smaller one, because I often work with it on my lap). They also offer the benefit of being able to customize pen settings, so you can swich back and forth between pressure sensitive tools on the fly.
    (And once you've worked with a pen/tab, you'll wonder how you ever got any work done with just a mouse. )
    Hope this helps,
    --Chris

I have a Pen Partner II

The first time I plugged my pen partner II into my toshiba laptop I was very dissappointed. The Wacom Pen Partner II dose not work with the Toshiba infact it messed up my scanner. However, now I have a Dell and I love my tablet! But I use it in tandom with my mouse. I have been a graphic artist for about 12 years so I remember the old "draw it by hand days". I have yet to use a tablet that can compete with a hand drawn image.

tobryant makes a very good point - I do still use my mouse for general navigation, etc., and (particularly as an old-school 2d Animator), the pen/tablet can not compete with a hand drawn image. I'd say that a good scanner is infinately more valuable than a pen/tablet combination, but add that the pen is infinately more beneficial for computer-generated painterly effects and coloring, and is a much more intuitive tool for all artistic projects you will be doing in your computer. May want to keep this in mind when making your purchase.

--Chris

Which Wacom do you recommend, some guys are saying the Graphire is the best....

Which Wacom

It really depends on how much precision you need. If you are just looking for an alternate to your mouse, the Graphire should be fine, otherwise, I would again highly reccomend the Intuos (my only comment earlier was that it can be a little steep, particularly for a student, but it will soon pay for itself).

--Chris