A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Job market in Canada?

Job market in Canada?

Can anyone help me?? I want to know the current job situation in Canada. Myself, I am working as a Lead web designer in my company and have a total (website) designing and flash developing (action scripting) experience of about 4 yrs and 6 months. My main expertise is in Photoshop, flash mx, action scripting, dreamweaver, raw HTML (hand coding), CSS and I have working knowledge of ASP, PHP, MS SQL, My SQL and XML since I have worked on a number of E-Commerce projects and solutions.

I head a team of about 4 designers. I am looking forward to immigrating to Canada this year. I wanted to know whats the best place to be for my expertise, Toronto?? Vancouver?? or any other city.

Also, any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Sameer
    sameer rao

there...you see!!

Hello there,

We're based out of Calgary, Alberta, pretty much Canada's fastest growing city. Though I do not recommend you come here, unless you have connections and experience in the oil/fuels sector, because that is the majority of the market here.

I do recommend Toronto, or if you can speak French, for sure Montreal, most beautiful city here in my opinion. Vancouver might be ok for the job market, but as a city, I don't like it much, I wouldn't want to be living there.

If your coming from the States expect to things, loads of taxes, and your Big Mac costing more.

Other then that, Canada is the best place in the world to live.

Good luck.

Hi Guys. No more comments?? All I am trying to do is conduct a small research which might help me in deciding the best place to relocate in Canada. I want to know the average compensation for a person with skills asn experience as mine.

Looking for more views and comments.
    sameer rao

there...you see!!

You could probably apply for some jobs on Monster.ca and see what you can pick up, then from there choose where you want to live?

Oh i could help you with that!!!

Toronto is a BAD place to live. Let's just make that clear. The homes are dead expensive, the traffic is MAD, but the jobs are good. You might want to move to Oshawa, its the city where General Motors started, it is almost a pure industrial town, it is a one hour drive east of Toronto. Lots of good jobs there. It's a good place to live compared to Toronto. You could also get a job in Toronto but live somewhere else (oakville, scarborough, richmond hill, pickering). I know lots of people who do that.

Peterborough is a great place to live.. really nice town!! Lots of stag shops too.

Hamilton is also a good place to live, on a budget. The homes are quite cheap but the city takes some time getting used to.

If you want to live out-east, in the maritimes, don't. I mean, the landscapes are beautiful, but theres just nothing going on there and you will die of boredom, loneliness, and despair.

Out west in Alberta is fun.. i like it there. BC is nice but not as nice IMO.. There is no point living in vancouver if you can live in toronto.

Quebec is freaking awesome place to live, especially montreal and around there. I can speak pretty good french too so thats cool.

Or you could be like me and live in Nunavut. Don't reccomend that, at all.

=)
    Penis Inches: Your Answer.
    www.penisinches.com

ice fisherman is a crappy job lets get that straight!!
    www.penisinches.com

Wow. Your from Nunavut? I have never actually met someone from up there? Is it really dark as people say in winter? Cold?

Well you don't notice the cold very much. I spend a lot of time indoors anyway... It does get really dark as well. A lot of people are pretty poor compared to down south in Quebec and Ontario and stuff, and it is a lot more noticable because of our lower population.

Actually i'm not "from" Nunavut, as it was not recognized as a territory when i was born

But really i grew up in Yellowknife, NWT. A lot bigger there, way more jobs, very industrial. Came to Nunavut in 2001. Most of my pals here are alcoholics and do not speak much english, so we do not totally get along. Thats why I am registered with flash kit. =)
    Last edited by Flea-x; 01-26-2004 at 09:05 PM.
    www.penisinches.com