Macromedia has made a flash plugin for linux (http://download.macromedia.com/pub/..._6_linux.tar.gz), Adobe has put out a Linux version of Adobe Acrobat (http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html).
These are not major apps, the Flash plugin is just that - a plugin, and it is Adobe Acrobat Reader that Adobe have released, not Acrobat itself. As I said, both Macromedia and Adobe are not porting their major apps to Linux and none of the other major software houses look set to take the plunge either.

Everyone reading this should seriously consider trying Linux as a completely free OS.
I wouldn't recommend Linux to anyone just because it is a free alternative to Microsoft, in fact I would let them know that they need to learn a whole lot of things about their computer and hardware before they consider trying Linux. You really need a lot of time and patience to figure certain things out.

Here are a few of the problems from last time I tried Linux, which was with the last release of RedHat (9 I think) - the core of which became Fedora.

1) It hung when when auto-detecting my soundcard.
2) It hung when auto-detecting my firewire ports.
3) My ADSL modem needed a driver downloading from the manufacturer's site but I couldn't get on line without my ADSL modem. Catch 22.
4) Hardware acceleration was not supported on my graphics card.

The solution to the soundcard was to go and download the ALSA project and install their drivers (which required compilation from source) instead of the core Linux ones. The solution to the firewire ports was to download a kernel patch and re-compile the kernel - not something that the average Windows user would like to do. The ADSL problem was solved by me still having Windows on my PC on another partition.

Linux is not easy, it has a steep learning curve because you need to know so much more about your system than with Windows, it reminds me of early Windows 95 when Microsoft didn't quite have everything right with Plug & Play and there was a lot of legacy stuff. I think that's where Linux on the desktop is today, but 95 was 9 years ago - which is a long time in the computer industry.

I am not trying to put Linux itself down, it is doing rather well as a server alongside UNIX and BSD, it could have a bright future on the desktop if the community listens to its critics rather than burying their heads back in 1973 - just look at what Apple have done with BSD. But I don't think it is in the right kind of shape at the moment, XFree development is split, desktop development is split (GNOME and KDE are really just duplicating each other), there is no common focus, and the reality of the situation is that RedHat have effectively pulled out of the Linux desktop market by creating the Fedora project to concentrate on servers.

If people want to use Linux, fine, but just be aware that it isn't operating system utopia.