A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Need freelance work done? Try this website

http://www.flipshark.com flipshark's Avatar

Need freelance work done? Try this website

Note: This is not meant to be spam: I have compiled a list of over 30+ posts where freelance work was asked for or requested by members in the last few months if you wish to see. I am trying to provide a cheap useful service to members (while making a few bucks at the same time.

If anyone is interested in doing freelance work or having freelance work done please visit FlipShark.com

http://www.flipshark.com

Basically I am trying to setup a site that is as user friendly to both programmers/designers and webmasters/project managers.

I know a lot of people hate these type of sites because it seems like the guy who's willing to work for $2 an hour always gets hired. Or the quality of work isn't always worth what you pay. I am trying to work around that, and I am trying to make this as programmer and webmaster friendly as possible.

BENEFITS FOR WEBMASTERS/PROJECT MANAGERS:

First. You don't have to pay until your work is done to your specifications.

Second. You will have a large selection of programmers/designers to choose from, all with feedback, portfolios, and previous work experience to examine in choosing your perfect freelancer.

Third. Low cost, costs are 10 times cheaper than elance and other similar sites. So you save money.

BENEFITS FOR PROGRAMMERS, DESIGNERS, & GRAPHIC ARTISTS:

First, the site has a "report violation" link, so if users feel someone is constantly underbidding projects or bidding just to gain feedback, or otherwise breaking the rules; users can report them anonymously and admin can decide to warn/suspend/ban them (if needed).

Second, in order to ensure programmers/designers get paid for their work, there is a free Safe Transfer (escrow) service option on the site. This means you don't start the work until the money is depositted, and once the work is done (as outlined in the project description) you get paid. This will also solve the problems I always see in the boardroom where someone does the work and then doesn't get paid.

Read more here: http://www.flipshark.com/index.php?r...etransfers.htm

Third, extremely low fee service for programmers. The current fees will be $0.50 or 5% of the project amount. That means you make $95 out of $100. There are NO suscription fees, no monthly fees, and no other fees (except for check withdrawls, etc.). Also if you provide me with your flashkit posting ID, I will give you your first 1 or 2 projects free. IE the 5% will be creditted back to your account. That means you can do your first projects free with no subscription fees and no commissions.

Forth, you can also list your artwork or other services for sale at a set price as well for anyone interested. This includes people interested in selling flash intros, templates, animations, logos, designs, etc. The current cost is 10% per sale (so if you sell a template at $30 you still get $27 profit), and I may be offerring a discount for this also to FK members if a lot post. It is also currently free to list these auction type items, so you only pay when it sells. This further protects programmers from working for slave labor as they set the price.

If anyone thinks of anything else that should be added, that would better improve this service for programmers/webmasters please let me know.

http://www.flipshark.com

If it is worthy I would love this thread to be sticky for a little bit. I am not trying to be a blatant spammer, but I have seriously seen a lot of threads on FK about people being ripped when doing freelance work, or newbies looking for freelance work, and I thought this would be a safe way for both groups. If this is considered spam (even though I think it will be very useful) please just let this thread die a quite death.

wasnt flipshark a search engine? why the big change?
    Bill Erickson: resume | portfolio
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4
    Great Designs for $100

Originally posted by MG315
    wasnt flipshark a search engine? why the big change?
    FlipShark was a search engine with anonymous surfing.

The search engine made only about $50/month.
    The anonymous surfing made only about $10/month, but used up so much CPU space that 2 dedicated servers were needed just to accomodate it (over 40,000 users/day at it's peak).

2 good dedicated servers costed a minimum of $200/month. Profit from site = $60/month ($50+$10).
    So I was losing money by running it.

That explains the big change

I was going to make it a gaming site or something, but saw a lot of people on FK looking for freelance work, or asking for freelance work. So I thought I would try this elance type instead.

bump

I use it but we need more projects
    It must be obvious day at camp stupid

Originally posted by sk8Krog
    I use it but we need more projects
    Agreed, I will start to advertise it whereever I can and hopefully others will help by doing the same.

flipshark, why not try to use more specific area of freelancing?
    most people knows scriptlance(www.scriptlance.com) -and they #1 by price/programmers community etc.
    i have start my freelance site(www.templatelance.com) with specific niche -templates, and have some success with it.
    you can run flash freelance site, and i think people who read this forum will iterest more this site then just flipshark(www.flipshark.com)

RIDER
    Im in need of a flash freelancer so I will check it out
    take it or leave it

what is a freelancer? is it somene who just takes over a project finishes it and gets paid? nothing big ?
    if thats it im i need of a site like flipshark ...i ve been screwed over once pisses me off!

What Funds are the bids made in? US?

perhaps try a click per ads program I will do my best to explain:

Some popular search engines or simply by typing pay per click advertisement may be more affordable if you can find one by searching google and entering pay per click advertisements. you will probably find the right people your looking for at a better or more reasonable price than paying using www.elance.com either way search the web and any pay per click advertisement may be the most affordable way to go. hope I at least triggered some thoughts. All the best.

Peace and luck to ya!

Originally posted by wormed
    What Funds are the bids made in? US?
    Bids are in USD as it is the most widely used currency. However conversion is free.

SPAMMERDESPAM!

Some quotes from your site:
    "we will charge $10/hour or basis of project as u convenience"

"Budget: Maximum $ 500
    The new site must be able to stand up to sites like these:
    www.billybussey.com/coolio/"

Do you guys also notice the subtile differences between the guy from India charging 400$ and the guy from belgium NEED to charge 1200$ for the same project.

In my opinion you're not helping the freelance market here.
    You are exploiting people, excluding others. It's like American companies Nike and others opening large factories in third world countries. Tellm e how you are different from them and maybe I'll give you some support. But for now, get the h*ll out of here.

Originally posted by sense
    SPAMMERDESPAM!

Some quotes from your site:
    "we will charge $10/hour or basis of project as u convenience"

"Budget: Maximum $ 500
    The new site must be able to stand up to sites like these:
    www.billybussey.com/coolio/"

Do you guys also notice the subtile differences between the guy from India charging 400$ and the guy from belgium NEED to charge 1200$ for the same project.

In my opinion you're not helping the freelance market here.
    You are exploiting people, excluding others. It's like American companies Nike and others opening large factories in third world countries. Tellm e how you are different from them and maybe I'll give you some support. But for now, get the h*ll out of here.
    Although this may be a little harsh, I have to agree.
    Pandering to the lowest common denominator is never good for any community, and I think that goes for design in particular.