A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Mac compatilibilty help needed

Mac compatilibilty help needed

Basically I'm doing a video template which loads a flash swf (course.swf) into the top div of a html page it loads a quicktime movie into the middle div and loads another flash swf, (activity.swf) into the bottom div.

Which works fine under windows however on the MAC OSX using latest IE it fails to work for one the sizing of the movies is wrong and it flickers between loading the movie in.

I don't know if it's a html/javascript problem or a flash problem.

it is ok to use Number(screem.width) and Number(screen.height) on a mac isnt it in javascript?

And it is ok to use local connection on a mac - there isn't any bugs associated with it?

It's hard for me to explain all the code so if anyone can answer the above questions it would be a great help.

cheers
    Alison

Depending on how you're doing it, it's probably the local connection you talk about.

This is pretty badly supported on Macs; i think Netscape does it, can't remember if anything else does.

http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...ort_matrix.htm
    Sam

thanks for that

All I have is a html page with 3 HTML layers using div tag two are flash files which communicate ( on top and bottom layers) the third loads in and replaces a quicktime movie into the middle layer.

on my requesting flash file I have this:-
    Code:
    receivingLC = new LocalConnection();
    receivingLC.loadTop = function(title, file, current_page) {
    // all the things I wish to do - i.e. set title names
    	_root.current_page = current_page;
    	_root.title2 = "<p align=\"right\">"+title+"</p>";
    };
    receivingLC.connect("T2A1");

on one flash file I have this in a mc loader (a couple of blank frames then this code)

Code:
    sendingLC = new LocalConnection();
    sendingLC.onStatus = function(infoObject) {
    	if (infoObject.level == "error") {
    		// problem
    		//getURL("javascript:alert('Error:Could not establish connection between components on page')", "_self");
    		//sendingLC.close();
    		//try again
    		prevFrame();
    	} else {
    		// no problems send message!	
    		sendingLC.close();
    		gotoAndStop(1);
    	}
    };
    sendingLC.send("T2A1", "loadTop", _parent.strTitle, _parent.strFile, _parent.current_page);

Should this be ok on the Mac???

The page that these flash swfs sit on is t2a1.htm - inserted as a top half of text file on this post and the javascript functions it called at bottom half - obviously these are too separate files with the appropriate extensions in the correct directory structure)

I can post the flash files too if it would help? - it just I havent a clue really where to start.
    Alison

Ah, localConnection objects work fine assuming you have an up to date flash plugin installed, so it's probably the calling the external javascript function; I haven't done this for a while with flash, but I'm pretty sure you can't call external functions properly; you need to embed the function in a getURL statement in the Flash movie if possible.
    Sam