A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: striptheimage.com

for gawdsake.

Strip The Image Site

Hey whats up everyone!?

This is Brian from the band Strip The Image . After reading everyone's comments, its apparent that some people like it and some people don't, and thats totally fine. Not everyone can be pleased with a site or someones artwork. The main point is that justin was making was that, we as a band were very pleased with the site and it makes us very happy the way it turned out. I think that justin put a lot of time and hard work into a site that is clearly different than any other site i have seen out there. we wanted to go with an approach like an open book or magazine which forces the viewer to see all aspects of the site. We are happy with it and we appreciate the crits, long down the road when the site is revamped, we will be happy to take your crits into consideration. Till then, thanks and rock on!

-Brian-http://www.striptheimage.com

I've reopened this, it would be nice if it didn't turn into another kindergarten.

haha, exactly, maybe get some CONSTRUCTIVE crits

Actually, only a couple were not "constructive", but the majority had valid points. You have to understand too that these opinions come from individuals based in the web design field, it's what we do. So, we have a pretty good idea of what we're talking about.

In the end, glad that you like it, but I still stand with the popular opinion that it doesn't fit your music or appearance. It'd be like me introducing red, metallic cars into continental.com. The boss may like it, but it doesn't reflect the market that we're in.

By the way, good music dude.

thanks for being a fan. I am a fan of All Media Studios www.allmediastudios.com because he is a great friend of mine and without the site, we really wouldn't have gotten anywhere. I appreciate your crit, we all have our own opinions and thats fine! thanks for posting dude!

-B

I really liked the site. The graphics were nice, and the design was way original. I would say that it should have been more content oriented also. I dont see why you are getting so much heat from people.
    UPS' official RIPP-OFF
    See full complaint here > www.actionfx.net/complaint.htm

Originally posted by afovar
    Actually, only a couple were not "constructive", but the majority had valid points.
    I agree, it was more people's reactions to being challenged that could have been a little more restrained.

It's important for people to be constructive when they react to comments as well as give them, but the majority of people do give valuable input.

I would say to you guys that the best thing you can do is get a group of people to test your site, all the different user groups you're aiming the site at. That shouldn't just be people who are fans of your music but also people who might want to hire you, people that come across your site through a recommendation, etc etc. There are normally at least 4 or 5 different user groups you should bare in mind. Find some of these people, preferably people you don't know, and have them give you feedback on the site.

Personally, I think you should get into the site faster, if I don't know your music, which I don't, I should be set up to see and hear something from the beginning, maybe have small images of the band incorporated in the preloader... something like that.

The non-linear nature of the site's construction doesn't bother me so much, I think it works well in the manner intended. It would be nice to have some 'jump to' navigation at the bottom of the page so you didn't have to 'next' 'next' etc, but part of that has to do with the atmosphere of the site, which reflects on the band.

I do think you should have a quick link to contact. Some people visiting the site might be promoters or bookers who just want to send you an email or find a phone number to call you, rather than go through the whole site 'experience'.

thats a very good idea and thanks so much for the support and tips. this site is very good in that people aren't "scared" to say what they feel. and i love that. sometimes people are scared to post their real feelings. i will relay the message to justin and let him know what all of you think. first of all, i think its TOTALLY awesome that our site even got discovered on this site and through the boards in the first place. its helping by getting our site out there in the open regardless if people like the design or not. the internet is a great resource for communication, and it has proven that by getting on flashkit.com. if u have any other suggestions on the site let me or justin know so that we can do our best for future design! once again, i really appreciate your comments and that you have taken the time to try and help us out!! keep rockin!

-Brian-

The Excentrifugal Force SSC Cosmic's Avatar
    Hey Cinci guys, I know a few musicians in your town, and visit there on biz maybe 5 or 6 times each year. I'll have to catch a gig next time perhaps.

The site, I think, is pretty good. Regarding whether it fits, I'd say it wouldn't be my first choice, but I am definitely tired of seeing the common flannel shirted band surrounded by a texture and grunge site. Those sites have become too homogenous, and won't help a band stand out in the crowd. Perhaps this one will.

The nav felt completely intuitive. With only four sections, I didn't need labeled buttons.
    The body text is blurred up a bit, why not a tight pixel font there, Edgen?

Marketing q: with your target being record co's and fans, why aren't there more pics of the audience used? I would be thinking that I would want to show that this band has a following. Producers and promoters don't want a band, they want an audience, a following. A picture captioned "two thousand lunatic fans at the Cinci BigVenue" would raise the right eyebrows, me thinks.
    Just me ponderin'.

nice site.. the 3d leaves a memorable mark.
    I'm sure you were optimizing for load times but too me the logo could use a little antialiasing/better rendering to improve the quality.

i agree! thanks for the tips! it will only make our site better to hear what people think!

-B

Film and Game Music - 3D
    *sits quietly in a corner and listens*
    justin r. durban | Film & Game Composer
    Edgen | My Music | My Work | My Loops | Kings and Kingdoms

hey durb!!! i tried to clear the bad feelings!

The band absolutely loves the site so because of that.. I'm happy. They are happy. and in the end... That's all that matters.
    Couldn't agree more although maybe a lowband html version might be a good idea to make it more accessable to all!

Just out of interest how big is the swf file?

it looks like a raw piece of work... I like the idea but something(s) is missing...

also... what does an indie rock band need with a site of that nature? is their demographic a bunch of geeks with high speed connections such as myself?

answer : no... regardless of personal taste this will not work to their benifit as a marketing tool and that is what is important
    --

T

I was lucky enough to see this site in production, and while I respect a lot of the reactions on here...I still can't support them. I think the site turned out great, I think it fits the band just fine...and I don't think their demographic is visiting the site for an efficient visit. The load time probably isnt going to have much of an impact on viewership because bands sites are generally surfed to just out of curiosity and often boredom.

At least, thats how it would seem to me. And in such a case...I think the site satisfies what they are looking for quite well.

-ryan
    Last edited by zuse; 01-31-2004 at 02:33 AM.
    live and love life

in addition to my last comment... I just read the entire thread & please note that I completely understand how it is to put your best effort into your work...

but it is vital as a web developer to not just make something pretty & cutting edge but to also make something efficient... if you can honestly say that this site is an efficient marketing tool for an up & coming rock band then more power to you... rock on

in the words of Paul Arden "Do not seek praise, seek criticism." - that is how you better yourself...

much respect to those involved on this project & good luck

--

T

nice idea.

terrible choice of typefaces
    -----------------------------------
    Chris Green
    BREADLEGS :: DESIGN AGENCY