A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Course Outline - Suggestions?

Corporate Nose-Picker

Course Outline - Suggestions?

Hey peeples,

The HR dept. where I work is starting a new program where employees with a specific skill will share trade secrets and general knowledge. (for ex. the finance guy will do a "Balance Sheet 101" class, and so on). They want me to give a class on how to improve powerpoint presentations, as I am the graphic designer here.

Well, I told them I'd do it, but I'm not sure where to start. I've never tutored anyone on anything!!! Matter of fact, whenever someone needs an overhaul on their presentation, I just do it myself rather than sit down and explain how to improve.

Would before/after samples work? Or color theory? A lot of what we do is subjective, but a lot of the audience is composed of engineers (think, opposite of subjective), thus, they'll want scientific explanations for all the topics.

Thanks!
    Of course I'm the man for the job! What is the job, by the way?

our company does this as well - it's called 'Inside Track' <--- very catchy

anyway, i'm not sure how long the class is supposed to be, or if you are trying to actually teach them about powerpoint. if you just need to discuss basic design principles, and how to apply that to PPT, you might want to base your class on The Non-designers Design Book. this is great info for a non-designer. it would be really easy to take these principles, and apply them to the PPT medium. you could easily get 'bad examples' of layout from your companies existing PPT presentations, and treat them with concepts taught in this book (show the before and after). i have 2 or 3 copies in my design library here at the office (i'm in a similar position as you - one of only a couple designers in a sea of non-designers) - i pass them out all the time, and people love it. you might want to touch on color theory and other topics, by basic layout and typography info will actually help them the most.

and don't forget to tell them to steer clear of the transitions unless they actually improve the presentation!

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

Corporate Nose-Picker
    The class is not to teach powerpoint per se, but techniques to improve layout and conveying the message.

Thanks for the book suggestion, I'll most definately look into it.

well, if you are an experienced designer, that book is not for you. however, it will save you a lot of time in determining what level of instruction is appropriate for the non-designer. it sounds just like what you are looking for (and it's cheap!)

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

Here is a link to a basic PowerPoint Presentation Tips site...
    http://www.tokitty.com/ppttips.htm

Perhaps you could use some of this?
    Granted, it's main site is copyright 1997, but some useful info for the basic user still.

Corporate Nose-Picker
    Originally posted by nordberg
    well, if you are an experienced designer, that book is not for you. however, it will save you a lot of time in determining what level of instruction is appropriate for the non-designer. it sounds just like what you are looking for (and it's cheap!)
    Not intentionally bumping this thread up...but just wanted to thank you for the book. It's really worth the $15!!! I'd recommend it to anyone, even if you're a seasoned designer. It's always refreshing to go back to the basics. In my case, those basics became so second-nature and ingrained that it became hard to grasp the point of view from a non designer designer standpoint.

Thanks again! Wish me luck...hey got any books on stage fright?

ask your doctor for stage-fright meds. they honestly work well. the one that would work very well in this situation is a beta blocker. they basically work physiologically by calming down your heart and prevent the flushing.