A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: buttons that won't go away

buttons that won't go away

Hi,and thanks for the help...

I've a many layered file that I created with help from some of the great movies at this site. It's got a series of buttons at the bottom of a central frame. Clicking one of those buttons changes the image in the central frame (fades from one image to another). Got all that to work great.

There are 7 movies in all that show up in the central frame. The 7th contains 10 thumbnail photos. Each tumbnail is covered by a button, which contains the following Actionscript:

on (release) {
    getURL ("javascript:NewWindow=window.open('pic3.jpg','new Win','width=564,height=369,left=0,top=0,toolbar=No ,location=No,scrollbars=Yes,status=No,resizable=Ye s,fullscreen=Yes'); NewWindow.focus();void(0);");
    }

((I got this from a Tutorial ... ))

The problem is, once I put those buttons in, they mysteriously became permanent behind all of the 7 movies that play in that central frame. For example, the first button takes you to a list of dates and has no buttons. It now also contains 10 invisible buttons that open the photos in new windows.

The file is constructed like this:
    Top layer -- Background and Movie in central frame.
    Second layer -- Movies to make buttons fade from grey to color, all 7 central movies in central frame...
    Etc...
    So, the 7 central movies are each 3 levels down, if that matters...

I have no idea how to fix this, though I'm assuming it must be fairly simple (like rearranging layers?)

Please help.

Many Thanks

blame sony
    I think the easiest way to change it would be to place the thumbnail buttons within the thumbnail movie clip. instead of on the main timeline.. if i understood you correctly.
    "i'm gonna ask you a bunch of questions, and want them answered immediatly"

I tried that, but it doesn't work...

I thought the problem might be that I was initially putting the thumbnail buttons within the main instance of the 7th movie, as it's difficult to navigate down the the particular instance since they're stacked on top of each other in a central frame.

Anyway, I changed it so that the thumbnail buttons were just on the one instance of movie 7. I also created a new movie that had the background image and all of the thumbnail buttons together (which put the buttons one level further down).... Nothing seems to work.

The thumbnail buttons show up in the central frame no matter where you are (which movie is loaded into central frame). Could it be related to the fact that I use Javascript in them?

I hesitate to post the file, since I'm making it for someone else, and since it's my first and somewhat disorganized, but I if you think it would help I certainly will...or I could email it to you.

Thanks,

blame sony
    i've PM my address
    "i'm gonna ask you a bunch of questions, and want them answered immediatly"