A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: url to alternate mobile site

url to alternate mobile site

Not sure if anyone will answer this question, but I'll ask anyway.

what are some standard ways to provide alternate content for mobile users in the context of a web site?

For example, it seems one standard way to provide an alternate mobile site is to use a wap domain.

So you have
    www.company.com for the regular site

and
    wap.company.com for the mobile site

in the imode community it seems common to create a subdirectory for mobile content.

www.company.com/i/

any other common approaches?

>>SubKloda<<
    Hi Hayden,
    another possibility on the server-side, is looking at the browser doing the request and redirecting/reformatting content appropriately (eg. for Pocket IE)...

cheers,
    Andy

hi andy,

good to hear from you.

using the server side certainly is a desireable approach. Note that my question was not specific to Flash mobile content. I wonder if there is a common denomitor to look for in detecting mobile vs. desktop pc browsers through the user agent.

I know that imode devices include the phrase "imode" in the user agent, so that family of devices is easy to detect.

Is there a common denominator string to check for in the user agents of other XHTML/WAP browser and devices?

>>SubKloda<<
    Hi Hayden,
    i've been around on FK occasionally, but i'm getting a shiny new iPaq tomorrow so i thought i'd see what the mobile forum was like..

i'm not too sure about wap browsers so i've just had a look at what user-agent header my Nokia 3330 sends, and surprisingly enough it's: Nokia3330/1.0 (03.12)

so you could possibly look for the phrase 'Nokia'(Ericsson, etc), but it might not always be a wap browser...

i would say the easiest way to determine if a wap browser is requesting something, is to look at the 'Accept:' header, as it's probably safe to assume that if the browser accepts 'text/vnd.wap.wml' then it's a wap browser...

i'd suggest the following if you wanted one url as an access point to all your content...

-build up a list of user agents for various browsers/markup languages (this would be a useful sticky topic for this forum)...

-separate your content into different folders (or use subdomains if they're easy to setup with your isp), such as '/wap','/html','/ppc', etc.

-create a homepage php script which will redirect the browser to the correct location on your server by 1st looking at the accept header (to check for wap browsers), then the user-agent to differentiate between Desktop IE and PocketPC IE...

if i find out anything more about mobile user-agents, then i'll let you know.

cheers,
    Andy

I have seen some scripts that take this approach. I seem to recall that the user agent list also includes micro browsers too. I was a little hesitant to take this approach just because you never know when a new user agent makes the scene.

it would be a good community effort (not neccessarily this one) to maintain a listing of micro browser user agents.

I'll ask more about this at forum.nokia.