A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: this design needs something

this design needs something

This design needs something...what do you think?
    seapod00

I could be wrong, but I think I've seen you use that flower shape in another design, and in that case I recall it looking good. Here however, I'm being taken back to the fifties. Perhaps that's the look you are going for, maybe not. It has a definite 'I Love Lucy' thing goin' on for me, though. So first off, determine if that's the overall perception you are trying to convey.

That being said, there isn't a whole lot to go on, but I would suggest somehow tying the theme into the fact this woman is a voiceover artist. If she has a specialty I would focus on that. It looks like she's done both theater work and anime in addition to other things. Perhaps you could also try to bring some of her personality into the design.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

It's actually a new flower shape but yeah, i'm a girly designer! i've been caught!

she said 'simple, clean, no cheesy graphics, green'.

i guess i'm looking for 'refinement' advice. I see very cutting edge looking websites that are simple and clean...(looking for url examples...hmmm...) German sites. Or Designer's Republic?

i know it can be simple and clean without 'needing something' the way that it does. The examples she gave me to replicate weren't very hi-tech or cutting edge, so I'm sitting on a fence: make it fresh enough to thrill both of us but deliver what she wanted.

I've attached it without the flower shape.

Thanks for looking it over.
    seapod00

Can I suggest you play around with font size? Maybe make her name and contact info a little larger. I actually like it better with the flower image in the background. She's a girl, it can be girly. Unless you want to throw in something else back there that pertains to what she does for a living. IMHO, this is a good design, just needs a little refining. It's clean and simple, but a bit too much dead space.

here's a new version playing with some of what you suggested GrafX Munk-e.

It's still not grabbing me but it's slowly improving.

I'm thinking of playing with some subtle patterns in the background of the header.

any more feedback or suggestions welcome.
    seapod00

yeah yeah.. that looks alot better.
    you could even try decreasing the size of her head moving things up... decreasing the height of that upper rectangle.... make sence?!?!?! Probably could word this better....

i think you worded it well. I think I will try some of those things.

it does look better, i agree. but it doesn't look cutting edge. I want to out do myself. Know what I mean? I'll mess with it. Sometimes you just have to sit there and mess with it.
    seapod00

draw the face in a vector art program and i think that could look sweet...
    fishpiracy
    ...The Eror Group...
    Rockdirect base, 17" laptop.
    core duo 2.3ghz 512mb graphics
    2gb ram 80gb hdd +goodies.

attached is what the client wanted, so I'm going with that.

thanks for all of your advice.
    seapod00

Why not trying to mask a little bit better the face? It pops out a bit too much. And removing the caps from the e-mail adress.
    The flower shape looks good. Simple yet eye catching.
    Just my 2 cents.
    |"Silence teaches you how to sing"

do something with the head i agree it sticks out to much

do something with the head i agree it sticks out to much.

try an image transparency in the background or something...the image has improve ten fold though.

jt

she approved it awhile ago, so it's all set, but thanks for your feedback.
    seapod00

This idea came to me...
    Attached Images Attached Images

OldAndUgly ~

You might want to read the posts and dates a little closer, my friend. She said that the client already approved her design five days ago.

Thanks for the input, though!
    mrush

At the time of my posting, I was fully aware of the details that you so rudely pointed out in your comment to me.

I visited one of the WebSite that you have created at http://www.bluespowerevue.com/ I can sum up your talent by saying, Amazing... Outstanding... Great Vision... You are the best that I have seen on the Internet.
    Last edited by OldAndUgly; 02-08-2004 at 02:19 PM.

Actually I was being completely sincere in passing along the information about seapod00 already having client approval. I simply thought you missed it when reading through the posts and mentioned that you might want to pay more attention if you are presenting information regarding how to improve a design that has already been approved, and hence requires no further revision. I was also being completely sincere about thanking you for your input.

Sorry you took it wrong, friend.

As for the web site of mine that you posted a link to, that's another example of client approval. That puppy was made many years ago and was exactly what the client wanted, as evidenced by the tidy sum that he paid for it. He remains a happy customer and an ongoing referral source. So if you were looking to make some sort of derisive comment about it, I hope you don't mind if I fail to be offended.
    mrush

The WebSite that you created is beautiful. As I had mentioned, it is the BEST that I have seen. I visited it several times, and I was amazed with each viewing. You have the talent and the knowledge to achieve your creative visions. That, I truly admire.

God Bless You And Yours,

George Crofton
    laser1@satx.net

Thanks, while I appreciate your comments, personally I consider that site to be far from the best on the net, so I naturally assumed you were being uncharacteristically sardonic in response to my perceived rudeness. I'm glad it was all just a misunderstanding.
    mrush