A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Windows on Mac

Windows on Mac

Can you install windows operating system on a mac .... can it work the reverse...?

Thanks in advance
    MY OTHER HAIR doo IS AN AFRO

Always Twirling Toward Freedom pooon's Avatar
    Yup. I got win 98 going on my friends mac. You need a program called virtual pc. Don't know how you get it, it came with his. Don't know if it can be done the other way around.

Originally posted by pooon
    Yup. I got win 98 going on my friends mac.
    Seriously?! That's crazy and at the same time a little cool...

There were some downsides, most noticeably no right mouse button.

Originally posted by pooon
    There were some downsides, most noticeably no right mouse button.
    Pooon is right.

Installing Virtual PC on a Mac will not make an Apple mouse transform into a two button mouse upon start-up.

lol.

I can't believe that people still think you can't use a two-button mouse with a Mac.

btw, Virtual PC works decently; however truthfully, it's still emulation. and that means slow.

I just use Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connector, a free download from http://microsoft.com/mac and then I remote into my existing PC. It does mean that you have to have a PC up and running, but I'm able to not worry about it being slower than my connection to the network.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Originally posted by gerbick
    lol.

I can't believe that people still think you can't use a two-button mouse with a Mac.

btw, Virtual PC works decently; however truthfully, it's still emulation. and that means slow.

I just use Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connector, a free download from http://microsoft.com/mac and then I remote into my existing PC. It does mean that you have to have a PC up and running, but I'm able to not worry about it being slower than my connection to the network.
    Two button mouses work fine on my friend's laptop with OS X...
    I really enjoy forgetting. When I first come to a place, I notice all the little details. I notice the way the sky looks. The color of white paper. The way people walk. Doorknobs. Everything. Then I get used to the place and I don't notice those things anymore. So only by forgetting can I see the place again as it really is.

ditto.

Ihoss
    thats like putting my brain in someone elses body! not that my massive brain will fit...

huh?

Originally posted by Ihoss
    thats like putting my brain in someone elses body! not that my massive brain will fit...
    And that person would have to be much more handsome on the outside, but a much weaker person on the inside.

OK! . but can u repartion and format the hard drive of a MAC pc and then install a Windows OS ....

Does the hardware requirements differ for both OS, or Its just about the same. And is it possible the reverse way!?

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    no, windows OS will not know how to talk to and work with apples powerPC cpu.

Different sets of instructions are used for the different chips. I think you could take a current mac Hard drive and totally reformat it and use it in a p.c. though, But I really don't know.
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have never used a MAC n Spent whole life playing with Windows . IS it actually worth it to work on MAC than on a PC. Wat do people who are on MAc really think about it.... And is Apple's Mac G5 really the fastest!.....
    Last edited by aka_tech; 01-26-2004 at 05:19 PM.

Originally posted by TallGuyLittleCar
    I think you could take a current mac Hard drive and totally reformat it and use it in a p.c. though, But I really don't know.
    that's correct. you can just roll on down to bestbuy and pick up any hard drive and drop it in a mac or pc, or swap one from the other...

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    well as long as its not a scsi.

mac dropped scsi right?
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

no dude. you can't just repartition a mac drive, and add windows to it. you need something that will emulate the x86 processor - Intel/AMD - and allow the windows environment to run on the Macs G4/G5 processors.

Originally posted by gerbick
    no dude. you can't just repartition a mac drive, and add windows to it. you need something that will emulate the x86 processor - Intel/AMD - and allow the windows environment to run on the Macs G4/G5 processors.
    i'm not sure if you were replyin to me on that, but i didn't mean install windows on a hard drive and then drop it in a mac.

i just meant you can have a reformatted hard drive and drop it in a mac and throw an OS on it, or drop it in a PC and install an OS on it, one or the other (in response to TallGuy's statement), that's all...

Originally posted by aka_tech
    I have never used a MAC n Spent whole life playing with Windows . IS it actually worth it to work on MAC than on a PC. Wat do people who are on MAc really think about it.... And is Apple's Mac G5 really the fastest!.....
    Use em both, they both have their advantages/disadvantages. And as far as the G5 being the fastest...I wouldnt let that sway you. Benchmarks on both have leaned towards both sides, so just concentrate on what a MAC/PC can do for you in different scenarios. just as an example you can use Mac for straight up graphics and video and PC for 3d, coding, etc...that way you dont buy double of the software as well...I

I like the apple laptops over pc laptops...and the chics dig em...

But for my grunt work and gaming it is customized PCs all the way.
    Last edited by webcorps; 01-26-2004 at 07:37 PM.

Originally posted by erova
    i'm not sure if you were replyin to me on that, but i didn't mean install windows on a hard drive and then drop it in a mac.

i just meant you can have a reformatted hard drive and drop it in a mac and throw an OS on it, or drop it in a PC and install an OS on it, one or the other (in response to TallGuy's statement), that's all...
    naw. not at all dude. just clearing some of the air before it got too confusing.