dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: LCD's: need some opinions

LCD's: need some opinions

Well, the 21" monitor I use at work crapped out on me the other day and I am in the process of looking for a replacement. My employer is really gung-ho in getting an LCD as a replacement due to aesthetics (I am one of the few people still using a CRT at the office).

I am hesitant to move to an LCD mostly due to my own experience with them in the past; poor color quality, ghosting and image resolution being my chief concerns.

Anyone out there in the design field that is presently using an LCD that they are happy with? I prefer something in the 18"-19" range.

Thanks in advance....

I am using dual Samsung syncmaster 191T's (19") and they are of excellent quality. Good resolution, quality, and no ghosting (that i can notice)

ctranter I would have to agree with you on that one I sold a lot of those. they do have great features the colors are nice hey tranter did you happen to get the one with the tv tuner pip and remote to it. but i would go with that or perhaps a sony they had just came out with an all black wide screen format. Oh just a reminder make sure the lcd you get doesnt require a special video card either a digital connection. hope you find it.
    "What do you call a mouse's Shadow in the second moon?"

no i didn't get that one unfortuantely, sounds interesting.

Well, after looking at a Viewsonic VX900, Samsung 193V and 191T, Planar PX191, BenQ FP991 and a Princeton 981....I opted for the Planar.

Out of the bunch, I was able to get it to color match the easiest (though still not as accurate as a CRT) and the amount of ghosting was minimal. They also had the best warranty with a 3 dead-pixel replacement warranty.

Only issue I really had with it was finding it instock somewhere. No local shops had on in-stock (wasn't going to buy a floor model) and only Dell had them in-stock online

I should have mine in-hand in a few days, I'll give another post once it gets in for thos that are perhaps in the same boat.

oooh good chice, n good luck.

/sigh

Well, the Planar LCD that I ordered is was out of stock everywhere but Dell (shudder). After receiving two email notifications that the product was instock and set to ship, I have now received notification that the product will not ship until Feb. 5th, which will be nearly 30days from when I had first placed the order.

So, after calling Planar and basically being told "we can't explain why no one is able to stock our products", I have pretty much decided not to bother with the brand.

As a possible replacement, I am not looking at the Benq FP991. Pretty good reviews and the product as actually stocked, so providing I am able to actually get on in, I'll give a follow-up.

I'm using a SONY StylePro Series SDM-S93/B 19-inch Flat Panel LCD Display (sorry if that reads like an ad. I can never remember the model # so I just copied from a retailers site).

http://www.sony-cp.com/professional/en/lcd/s93.html

It's better than I imagined it would be. I will say it took about a week to get used to.

I wouldn't trade is for anything.

Personally i would never get an LCD, even if i were bill gates.
    Penis Inches: Your Answer.
    www.penisinches.com

The Samsung SyncMaster 191T Plus is good at viewing text and regular business related things. Text and color was spot on and easy to read and view. DVD viewing was good but exhibited ghosting in fast scenes and it could get really annoying.
    The Samsung SyncMaster 191T Plus suffers from a major problem. You guessed it…Ghosting. Throughout playing games like NFS, the ghosting is clearly present and distracts me from the game. This is partially due to the 25ms response time and slow pixel clock speed frequency. Playing games shows that the Samsung SyncMaster 191T Plus falters out of control in some cases. When I started playing Max Payne 2, I got dizzy quickly and just didn’t use the monitor anymore. It even shows if you scroll quickly on text related websites. However, regular typing and reading are fine to do on this monitor.

I recommend the NEC MultiSync LCD1860NX
    Last edited by FlAss; 01-31-2004 at 09:06 PM.
    And now I/Foam to wheat, a glitter of seas./The child's cry//Melts in the wall./And I/Am the arrow,//The dew that flies/Suicidal, at one with the drive/Into the red//Eye, the cauldron of morning.

well i'm scrolling up and down as quickly as possible (and thanks to you there is enough text on this page now) and i find no evidence of ghosting.

What makes a monitor LCD? And what do you mean by 'ghosting'?
    seapod00

I apologise. I didn't realise I'd posted all those identical messages. Dunno how that happened. Maybe I got frustrated with how slow the Internet gets and clicked a button over and over. O well, endes gut alles gut Mr C. Wherefore art thou my Frilfro?
    And now I/Foam to wheat, a glitter of seas./The child's cry//Melts in the wall./And I/Am the arrow,//The dew that flies/Suicidal, at one with the drive/Into the red//Eye, the cauldron of morning.