A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Getting what it takes

Getting what it takes

Hey all. Seems like a lot of people on here are working for either themselves or a larger company designing sights, logos, and games for clients. Well, I have a question. How does one go about gaining these "clients"? I've been animating for awhile now and I'm ready to "take it to the next level" and I'm wondering how most of you got your starts. Did you simply design a bunch of different things and then post em on the web, or did you seek out individuals? Also, as I'm about to go into college I'd like to take a major in digital design and/or 3d design, and I'm wondering if that's the way to go in order to start my own flashing ( ) I understand that this may not be the easiest question to answer, but any info will help me out a lot. Thanks a lot.

Charlie

The last few clients I've gotten were from here.
    The other day, I bought a box of animal crackers. On the side, it said "Do Not Eat if Seal is Broken". I opened the box and sure enough...

well getting the first good client is the hardest .
    what i did was offer my clients incentives to spread my name around , like for every 3 customer referrals i get from one client , they ( the client) get a 50 % rebate on their last purchase .
    Give them a reason to want to tell others about you .

So for that illustrious first client, did you seek them out by finding someone that needed your help or did you simply post an ad or something and wait for them? The first client seems like it'd be the hardest to get (which makes sense because no one knows about your work yet). Any tips on getting started?
    Thanks a lot.

Charlie