A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 3D Spinning text

3D Spinning text

Slowly reading and learning.

I'm trying to simply have some text fly onto the screen, and then to have the last letter in that text to be spinning in 3D once its on the page. I'm working with FlashMX 2004. Can anyone explain to a newbie how thats done?

What I've done is actually make a .gif file of some text in photoshop, and then imported the .gif, and made the text fly on to the screen. I think I need to make the last letter a seperate graphic in Flash. Am I on the right track? But how do you make it spin in 3D?

Thanks for any help from one lost newbie here.

Well, to have true 3D you'd need a 3D program like Swift 3D, Plasma, or the New Maya 5.0. To do some psuedo 3D that won't look as good, but will be kinda in the direction you are looking for, I would have the last letter be a seperate .gif, and then to make it spin scale it all the way down to nothing and then back to full size, but on the other side, does that make sense? So you'd grab the scale handle on the right side and drag it until it's where the one on the left was. Wow. I managed to confuse myself. Sorry.

Ok, I sortof follow what it is your saying. To make a separate gif file of the one letter, and then to keep making numerous gif's of that file to make it spin.

As a newbie like myself, would I be better off using swift3D, Plasma, or some other program than flashmx? Can those programs be used in conjuction with flash, as in can I make do the same thing with them, and have the text fly in, and then to have the a letter spin as well?

The only one I've personally worked with is plasma. And with it, yes, you could make like a 20 frame animation of that one letter spinning and then import it as a .swf into your main movie and have it fly however you want.

Take a look at --Xara 3D ..it's not very expensive and it may solve your problem.