dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Can you take a glance at this marketing approach for design?

The Excentrifugal Force SSC Cosmic's Avatar

Can you take a glance at this marketing approach for design?

My target audience/prospect is small business owners, the types in the $1-10 million annual sales range. I am working on the assumption that they would reach my site after being directed there from a referral/prior client, or similar. It seems to me that what comes flying out of the mouths of these small business owners is "I was thinking about putting a site together with one of these clickNbuild things, you just add text and jpegs and blah blah blah". I believe that most of these people tend not to understand the true marketing and sales potential of a good site.

So the tactic is to introduce them to a rich media approach, and to plant the idea that their site should be both a good salesperson and a good service rep for their company. Now I've rewritten the text enough times to feel I can no longer be objective about it, and would appreciate your giving it a fast read, in the "rich media" section and the contact page. I'm wondering if I'm communicating the message properly or just sounding like a chooch.

I'm sure it will be painfully obvious to you experienced guys that I am making my first foray into the web graphics world, and I would greatly appreciate you pointing out things that make you say "newb!". From where I'm sitting, I can't see these things.

Many thanks,
    John

current test location: http://spragues.us/js/js.html
    soon to be : www.johnsprague.com

Tried to find the "Rich Media" link but failed.
    Couldn't even find the contact page...

Top right and bottom right.

BIG CHANGES ARE UNDER WAY

The words RICH MEDIA will work against you. They will attract people who would like to be rich. They will repel people who are rich. This page is advertising your services to your potential clients... as such it falls under the same guidelines as any other ad.
    For example: Which works best? BE DECISIVE, START RUNNING, JUMPING, JOGGING... GO DOWN TO YOUR LOCAL SHOP AND BUY A PAIR OF OUR SHOES... WE ARE BETTER THAN REEBOCK!
    or.... JUST DO IT.

SHORT is BETTER than long.
    WE is better than YOU, I, THEM
    Use a picture, a Flash illustration (smaller file) to convey your message (people don't read copy.. unless they are seeking an explanation to the picture, looking for info they need etc... in other words, they are not going to read your copy just because you wrote it) With a picture they don't have to read it... one look and they get the message... and they move on... so it is best to use arresting images (captivating, intriguing) or (shocking, outrageous) or (revolting, disgusting) or (INNOVATIVE...NEVER SEEN BEFORE)

Properly done an ad uses one or more pics (the less the better) one or more words (less is more) and one or more sounds to tell a very short story... or ask a short question... or make short statement... &c.

This is a new and unfamiliar World... this "Internet"... this sea of information... it's so large that we only get to see a small part of it.
    When a 20th century ad was/is seen on TV, for it to work properly it needs to be shown/seen dozens of times... if you have the bucks, 60 seconds at a time... or hundreds of million viewers at a time. This is a trip where if you don't fly first class you JUST DON'T get there.

BIG CHANGES ARE UNDER WAY

Tivo, Napster, broadband, WIFI, Google News, the Internet are killing the old media and their consorts. When choosing a product the new viewer/buyer, increasingly, goes to the internet to "see the product by themselves" use the internet to "seek their peers opinion "use the internet to "Google't out"

When we watch the ad on TV it's for entertainment.
    Now we move into the future, web pages that behave better than interactive ads... free of repetitive hard sell, effectively displaying a company's products and corporate philosophy, throughout the World, in a friendly, empowering environment. This is what WE DO. We are internet developers.

Don't tie your own name to your business. The future may change... you may have/want to sell your business, then... oops!.. you can no longer use your own name... call it something like WeDo.Com
    Last edited by MacPerson; 04-14-2011 at 10:32 PM.

Hi Mac,
    thanks for the lengthy reply mate, much appreciated. I'm in agreement with the lion's share of it.
    I looked at your flash business card the other day, very nice!

Now that I read my message to you a second time... I feel a little embarrassed... I told you stuff you already knew and I didn't take my own advice... I should have spoken in images not words...

As soon as I get the chance I'll try and translate the message you wish to give your clients into images and I'll send you the FLAs.

Meantime, if U can think of a visual metaphor for your message... do let me know.

P.S: In your career U may very well come across clients that need their logo redesigned... and when U do, it might be a good idea to have a practical example to show them... as in: "I used to have THIS as a logo but it was a little too casual for a design studio so I redesigned it... and now it looks like THAT".
    Last edited by MacPerson; 02-02-2004 at 12:10 AM.

Now you've got me thinkin'. Visual metahpor for a good presentation would perhaps be a star on a stage, so I came up with this (rough) bit:
    http://spragues.us/presto/presto.html

Make sense? Certainly simpler than the last thing, but does it strike a chord?

Thanks for your attention to this Mac.

The word PRESTO is a very good one... short, catchy, animated and uncommon... that's a good line of thought.

The image of a STAR can be improved... the five pointed star is so well known that it no longer generates excitement... you'd do better with a fresher image... something unusual... or startling... or an image that poses a question, makes you read the copy ...
    Last edited by MacPerson; 02-05-2004 at 03:20 AM.