dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Design to the screens width and height

Design to the screens width and height

Maybe this is not profound but I'd like to get opinions on this. I was cruising around websites and noticed that there is a great majority of websites that don't expand to the persons screen. Websites such as Microsoft, IBM, Adobe, have their information stuck in the left corner. Macromedia, Fantasy Interfaces, Apple, have their website in the center. Even though websites such as Flashkit, W3C, and Red Hat Linux websites to name a few expand to a users screen, they just have a repeating color that continues on or a repeating graphic.

Now I understand the argument that a lot of people's screen resolutions don't expand bigger than 1024x768 or 1280x1000 or something like that, but restricting design to those small resolutions, isn't that not utilizing the web technology and design? Is there a way to deal with that empty space so that it doesn't feel empty or just drift off?

Some sites just add an image or background to those empty spaces so they look more complete, some other use that empty space to siplay ads and banners but I think that just depends on the creators taste
    |"Silence teaches you how to sing"

I was just thinking this the other day, there is a definite trend towards fixed width screen design, even the 'standards' stadard bearing sites like a lits apart have switch from flexible design to fixed width.

i think for most sites fixed width just looks better... its what the designer intended it to look like.

It's so ugly though when people just add backgrounds because most of the time it just feels out of place, or just makes the design float in no where. But although sites use fixed widths because it looks better, what do you do about people that screen size resolutions bigger than 1600x1200? Fixed widths made to 800x600 looks tiny and miniscule. Ever compared look at a 800x600 on an 800x600 monitor and then to a 1600x1200 monitor? Major difference and a completely different feel.

btw, was Flash supposed to solve that problem with the Full Screen mode?