dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Self-Host?

Self-Host?

It might seem totally off the point of Hosting, but what is to stop you getting a Broadband connection with a decent upload and Static IP. In theory you should be able to run your own Web-Server. Call it Self-Hosting

its possible, and some do it, but its too much work to be worth it. you could grow all your own food, raise your own cattle to make your own burgers...but its much easier to go to a grocery store where they do it in bulk so it's cheaper for them.

in reality, you will have a slower connection than those $2/month accts you see over at webhostingtalk, and you'll have to leave the "server" (the computer used for hosting the site) on at all times, and if the site is any good the computer will need to be dedicated so as to not slow down the connection...and in the end if you factor in the computer cost, the internet connection, electricity you spend leaving it on all the time and all the hassle it is, its much cheaper to spend $5-10/month and get a pretty good hosting account - 10x faster than your home server and at least 10x cheaper
    Bill Erickson: resume | portfolio
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4
    Great Designs for $100

One day older, one day wiser rafiki55's Avatar
    yeah it's not worth it. In reality decent hosting costs next to nothing. You could get decent hosting for less than $5 a month.

The advantages with buying hosting are numerous. (secure server, faster connection, less hassle, no install email, php, mysql, etc)

It's so cheap now a days that it's really not worth the hassle of self hosting.

I fully agree with all the points against hosting for yourself, I was just trying to broarden the Topic without getting off the point.(did I just contradict my self?)

I wonder who Hosts Microsofts web site.

BTW I just saw a TV program about IT Industry Genii=(fithy rich people) and one company fancinated me, I think they were called "Equinics" or something similar to Equinox. They host/maintain Servers for everyone who is anyone worth being as far as the Internet goes. Silicon Valley was their location. Can anyone give me a more precise account of what they actually do? I heard the words "3 Billion Dollars" & "30 years old" and I had to leave the room and bite the carpet in the Hallway.

If you don't have a static IP you can try dynip, I've heard good things but I haven't tried.

Originally posted by Archimage
    I fully agree with all the points against hosting for yourself, I was just trying to broarden the Topic without getting off the point.(did I just contradict my self?)

I wonder who Hosts Microsofts web site.

A combination of their own datacenter and Akamai.

Yahoo's datacenter is much more impressive.

CNN also uses Akamai.

Incidently, the main reason most people don't self-host is (1) lack of skill, and (2) terms of service of most ISPs forbid it.

Also, it's NOT true that good hosting is next to free: good hosting on quality machines by a company with good support costs money. Hosting on cheap machines, reselling, and zero support is next to free.

One day older, one day wiser rafiki55's Avatar
    Also, it's NOT true that good hosting is next to free: good hosting on quality machines by a company with good support costs money. Hosting on cheap machines, reselling, and zero support is next to free.
    wrong. The hosting company that I've been using is "cheap" but they still offer good support. The reason hosting is so cheap now is that servers in datacenters are so cheap to buy now. $75-$175 / month can get you your own server. And off that server you can host many, many people. It's the support that often becomes a problem, but some manage that well by not accepting too many customers too fast or by hiring tech staff. A lot of hosting companies have decent servers in good datacenters, good tech support and are "cheap". One of the biggest problems is "fly by night" operations by people who don't realize it's a full time job. Or some 12 year old trying to start his own hosting company and can't offer tech support while he's at school. Another problem is that some hosts grow too fast (believe it or not, but I've been with 2 hosts that have) and they can't handle the new amount of customers/support tickets.

Look at (mt), their packages are fairly cheap (not as expensive as a lot of local companies) and they're on the industry's leader. So you can imagine they're making a decent profit, even with their fairly cheap prices. So smaller companies can still charge less than them and make a good profit.

It also depends on how much support you need. For most people it's basic troubleshooting (ftp problems, email problems, mysql server problems), so a lot of hosts can provide them with that. So for them , a "good" host would be easier to find. While, businesses who rely on e-commerce and high traffic sites may have more trouble looking for a "good", "cheap" host.

For my freelance work I have used, for quite some time, a fella who runs his own hosting company and provides his own support. I still have yet to understand how he makes any money at this, but I've been with him for 4 years, have over a dozen sites hosted through him, and have been completely happy with the results.
    I definitely do NOT think that (in most situations) more $$ means better. It depends on your requirements.