A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: transfer domain name?

transfer domain name?

i think this is what i want to do...did a site for a client, they told me what name they wanted, i searched for it and then registered it with my credit card at networksolutions. now i want them to have ownership of the name, i.e., i want their credit card number on the account and their email to be in the account holder field. i want them to be responsible for renewing the name each year. how do i go about this? is this what they mean by transfering a domain name? thanmks...

I don't use Register.com, but generally the way this happens is, have them register for a Register.com userName account and then, simply log into your Register.com account and transfer it from your account to theirs.
    Register.com considers a real "Domain Transfer" (ie. the ones that cost money) as being from one registrar to another. You're not doing this.. you're doing from one Register.com USER to another. This is free.

Remember, though, when you transfer the name to keep yourself as the administrative contact if you want to be able to access and manage the settings for that domain.

thanks for the information!

No problem... I hope all works out well for you on this.
    Let us know how it all comes out.

you might consider doing a *real* domain transfer away from network solutions, as they are probably the most expensive on the market. they bring trust with them (they aren't going out of business anytime soon), but i have had good experience with ev1servers.com for example (parent company is tucows! remember them? they're still around) which charges a fifth the price to register. and if you do transfer away, most registrars will just add a year to the date that network solutions was set to have you expire. so you don't lose any money or time. just a heads up. good luck.