A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: AMD motherbaords!!!

AMD motherbaords!!!

i am such a hardware n00b. I am buying a AMD 64-Bit 3400+ retail from www.monarchcomputers.com and well i want this ASUS mobo. but it says amd FX processors...will this mobo support the 3400+ as well? and if not what is the best mobo for a 3400+?

won't work. AMD Athlon 64 3400+ is 754 pins, while the Athlon FX series are 940 pins.

do more research before buying.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

i thought that i saw the pins were different...damn...
    thanks for the links wirez. i was going to buy my processor from monarch becasue it is retail, isn't newegg just deal with OEM stuff? but that is retail, so i will go with it...so i can combine shipping thanks

It isn't retail usually, but that one is. I only buy retail too, gotta have the 3 year warranty!

yeah i don't trust OEM, i like the fact i get everything i am supposed to and a warrenty...i don't care if it cost more.

thanks again. exactly what i am ordering...

newegg sells boxed, with 3 year warranty CPU's as well.

and I'd trust them... especially since that Monarch site, as you listed it, doesn't even work.

and such horrible spelling. motherboards, warranty, because. sheesh, my auto-correct is going off the charts with this thread.

Do you actually feel physical discomfort?

Because that would be cool.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

sorry gerbs...i don't mean to give you pain. but i think i will be.

so i got all that figured out now i am ordering ram.

i narrowed it down to the Corsair XMS series. but what is the difference between ECC, and Registered. then with Non-ECC, and not registered? because i DEFINITLY see a pirce difference.

Ram

research. google.com. they are your friend.

but since people are all about being spoon fed information... ECC is mostly for mission-critical servers. It's slower, as it does real-time error correction on read/write IO. I'd steer clear of it. It's not noticeable by most. However, look at what the motherboard recommends. Go/stick with it. Otherwise, you'll have RAM you can't use.

http://www.monarchcomputersystems.com/ is good I've used them before, they have a great sales force..

newegg is really good. use them 90% of the time.

If your getting a Socket 754 motherboard and unless you are running a server you don't need the registered RAM or the ECC ram.. Corsair RAM is great.. PC3200 DDR RAM is what you are looking for. Since the Socket 754 boards are single channel you only need one stick of RAM.

In your last Thread about Athlon 64's I posted some links that will give you some insight on what you are looking for, I don't know if u had seen it.

gerbs, can i have the spoon?

jk, you are the best

Originally posted by Hellsbellboy
    http://www.monarchcomputersystems.com/ is good I've used them before, they have a great sales force.
    I'm big time pro-TigerDirect...
    I really enjoy forgetting. When I first come to a place, I notice all the little details. I notice the way the sky looks. The color of white paper. The way people walk. Doorknobs. Everything. Then I get used to the place and I don't notice those things anymore. So only by forgetting can I see the place again as it really is.

Originally posted by Ultima Designs

I have a tiger direct merchant near where I live. And it sucks, however I still go. Good selection and price.

But...

No returns period on mobos and processors. So one time I flat out telled em "If you're not gonna let me test this at home, Im gonna do it right here, at your store". Completely unexpecting this response...they slowly got me a screwdriver. Got the MSI in the end, but man is that **** service.

Originally posted by fospher.com

So one time I flat out telled em "If you're not gonna let me test this at home, Im gonna do it right here, at your store". Completely unexpecting this response...they slowly got me a screwdriver.
    That's incredible. Absolutely incredible.
    I really enjoy forgetting. When I first come to a place, I notice all the little details. I notice the way the sky looks. The color of white paper. The way people walk. Doorknobs. Everything. Then I get used to the place and I don't notice those things anymore. So only by forgetting can I see the place again as it really is.

haven't tried them yet, but i see they have some good deals.

Originally posted by Hellsbellboy
    haven't tried them yet, but i see they have some good deals.
    I bought my entire computer (I built it myself) from there, and everything was perfect - second day shippping was only about $30 for an entire computer, and it even came next day instead of second day.

yeah i like tiger-direct, my friend got his barebone off there, pretty decent, but in my situation. newegg.com owns TD price wise

I bought my entire computer (I built it myself) from there, and everything was perfect - second day shippping was only about $30 for an entire computer, and it even came next day instead of second day.
    wow have to check them out.. that's great $30 bucks shipping.