A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash Wireless

I was just mulling over the concept of Flash for the wireless Internet (no doubt inspired by Eddie Caroll's Tutorial/Article The Wrap on WAP - http://www.flashkit.com/cgi-bin/link...ump.pl?ID=104), and was wondering what everyone's feelings on the capabilities of Flash were in this area. With both the player and file format being open source, we shouldn't be surprised to hear about someone developing a player for PDA's, or even cellular devices in the near future. With hand-held devices having color screens and more than adequate screen depths already, the technology would seem to be there. Could a Palm Pilot eqipped with an infinite supply of freely available Flash games challenge Nintendo's dominance of the hand-held gaming market? Sega has recently teamed with Motorola and is developing games for wireless devices on a specially made Java platform. As forward-looking Flash pioneers, it would seem to be an area of development that is going to be difficult to ignore.

Anyhow, just wondering what people's ideas are on this, and if there is enough discussion and excitement generated, perhaps a related area could be opened on the Flashkit bulletin boards.

--Chris

Lightbulb Could be a hit - buyt is the hardware good enough?

Hi CNO,

I think that there are oppertunities for flash in this corner of the web.
    I own a HP Jornada 430 and sometimes surf the web with it.
    But unfortunately there are no good browsers for WCE 2.0 so I even can't see frames, javascript and I can't use pluginns.

You're right that that won't take long, O.K.

But there is something else that's in my mind: PDA's are more and more "touch screen" so you need a little pencil.
    Most of the PDA's haven't got that much buttons.
    So what I'm thinking of is: will the pencil be enough to enable a shooting game? Remember you need buttons to move, to shoot, to change your weapon, etc.

By the way: who is willing to pay $700 for a computer to use as nintendo ?

But you're right: it's something to keep in mind. Even because flash enables you to put lots of information in a little area, something that plain html can't do.

Waldo