A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Rotating Text/Images

Smile

How Can I rotate text/images on the x (horizontal)axis? I have tried to use the rotate function, but what happens is it will flip, but then instead of continuing around, it will just reverse itself. It turns out looking like someone bending over and then standing back up again.

Thanks,
    Sam

Smile

as far as i known, image/text will only flip if you try to rotate in flash. That is why the people in electric rain come out with their Swift3D. (www.swift3d.com).

There are other way to do it, but it is a long and painful process. Read the following, it might help, http://www.flashplanet.com/tutorials/3D-objects.html

------------------

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Cool

Flash is only a 2D program x and y axis. You are trying to force an image into the z axis. You can fake it by using keyframes and breaking the text or image up and cutting part off and fliping it and setting it where you want it to be.
    Just a note, Swift 3D will not handle rastor images. If you want to turn them you would have to make them vectors, and your file size is going to scream. Regards, Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.

Talking

what is rastor image ?
    care to explain, pope ?

Thanks in advance.

------------------

Smile

An example that I'm trying to do is located at Almos Flash site. The small "banner" flips from center of screen to the upper left. Would this still be considered a 3D effect? Here is the url.... http://www.netkontoret.dk/flashecho/sitet.html

I now what you mean, I had a problem getting the image or text to rotate all the way around too, but found out if I programmed it to rotate +179 degrees, then another -181, or 181(forgot) it works! try it..

Steve

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Wink

All you have to do is make a keyframe with the item in it. Make another keyframe with the same item in it. In the second keyframe select the sizing tool and just stretch the item till it goes completly around to the other side and is right side up again. Then just move it to its new position and put a tween ation between the first and second frame.

A rastor image is a Bitmap image. It is made up of pixels instead of vectors. Regards, Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.

Smile

thanks, pope(for the rastor image explanation)

just a opinion:
    I have a solution if you want rotate the image/text 360 degree.

ie.
    1 frame 1- 10, flip your image/text horizontal, in the tweening , select "clockwise" 1 time.
    2. frame 11- 20, flip your image/text horizontal again, in the tweening, select "anticlockwise" 1 time.

I didn't use this method for a long time, if it not working, you might want to reverse the step.