A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: I think I have found my calling

Hybrid View

I think I have found my calling

hey lol......I have done numerous things.....i have tryed c,perl,php,html and everything almost.....and the one i find the most fun is using ps and flash mx......so i think im going to devote a huge part of my time when im on the computer to flash and well i have a few questions that i was hoping u could answer....like a few effect questions and stuff....keep in mind i am like the biggest n00b when it comes to this stuff.....

1) How do i make a navigation bar for a web site.....like how do i add it so when u click on it ....it will link u and how do i make it so when it goes over one of the options it makes an effect like it glows or the text changes colour.

2) What exactly is an action script, what are thye used for, and how do i make one and put it into my movie/ what ever im making.

3)what are some of the best programs to use with flash

4)how long does it take on average to become pretty good with flash.....stupid question but im just curious

if you could answer any of these questions i would be forever thankful......im not sure if those r hard to answer or its alot to answer but i thought i'd put all my questions into one big post..... .......well thanks and plz reply.....

1. You need to make a button (convert to symbol then select button) then on the default state frame (1st frame) of the button (you have to go inside the button by double clicking on it or by right clicking and pressing edit or you could use the library to get to it) you make what the button will look like then on the mouseOver frame you make what it will look like when the mouse is over it (like you could make it glow or whatever)

2. Action script is the best thing since sliced bread. It can be applied to any frame, button or movieclip (to display the actions panel goto window>actions). Action script is what makes it so that you can do stuff like open web-pages, play-stop the movie, create-edit variables and everything else under the sun.

3. If you want good 3D programs that work good with flash Swift3D, and Discreet Plasma are good 3D tools.

4. For me, i think it was about a year but thats just me.

~MD

sweet..... how hard would it be to make a nav bar like this one on this site at the top www.phrozen-ally.com/2 ?????
    and if its not to much to ask how would I go about making it.....do i have to make each button at a time or can i make 4 buttons at once?
    and how would i get the underline slide in effect and the glow?

I through together a menu bar for you, you can download it and you can have a look at how i did it.

~MD

thanks but i dont get some of the layers u did on the buttons....like the one where it says this is the area where the.....i dont no how u go that to be there and stuff

Each button has for frames which at the top it looks like this

|UP|OVER|DOWN|HIT|

-any frame(s) below UP is what it looks like at its normal state
    -any frame(s) below OVER is what it looks like when the mouse is over it
    -any frame(s) below DOWN is what is looks like when the mouse press it
    -any frame(s) below HIT is where the mouse has to be in order to click or move over the button, you will never see anything in the HIT frame

To make the animation work, each button has a movieclip in the OVER and DOWN frames, this makes it so that when button goes to the OVER or DOWN state then the animation plays.

I hope that makes any more sense to you

~MD

I know about that i just dont kno what tools u used to make the buttons do what they do......

like i mean i dont know how u made those layers work and do what they do on the movie clip u added in there........i don't know what u did to get them there....i tryed to do what u did but i could get it.......

In each button the first frame contains what it looks like normally then in the 2nd frame it has a movieClip which automatically plays, the key to this working is that it is a movieClip NOT a graphic. The difference is that graphics require a certain amount of frames to work where as a movieClip doesn't.

Then in each movieClip is a simple animation and when it finishes the animation (when it reaches the last frame) there's a simple stop(); action which makes it so the movieClip doesn't loop but of course if the mouse goes off the button and then back on, then the movieClip plays again.

I hope that helps you any, if it doesn't could you be a little more specific?

~MD

what i mean is how exactly did u make the movie clips...what steps did u take....i tryed doing what u did but i failed in doing so.....and another question can i insert a picture to be the button and have it all still work?

ya i know im coming in a little late to the convo but i get what ur saying so far but i sorta have the same q how do u get the movie clip to work with the button or vis versa i am new to flash but think it rocks and i need to learn how to use it and i am trying to make this nav bar for a website but have no clue where to even start so ya im sorta looking for help on how to do it so hmm any chance u could tell me in a tutorial or something i hope its not asking to much view the attachment to see what im trying to make but have it linkt o my websites pages like it be the main page and then go to pages with frames and have it be only home page or something not sure yet what im doing on that part yet
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Aaron Carl

I would suggest you go to the tutorials link at the top of this page. Then select Flash MX and search on designing buttons keywords. There are about 8 tutorials that pop up and they are downloadable. That would be the easiest way to get familiar with making buttons.

You can also go to your shared library and click on the buttons folder and then click on the type of button you want or some thing similar and then try click on the button in the small library window and it will bring up the four boxes where you can see the layers that have been added and the way in which the button is constructed.

But the tutorial is the best way to get into it.
    Dave S.
    Creating, the ultimate passion
    www.dittomark.com

Originally posted by Dstoverden
    I would suggest you go to the tutorials link at the top of this page. Then select Flash MX and search on designing buttons keywords. There are about 8 tutorials that pop up and they are downloadable.
    I agree, tutorials would be a good idea, here is some more sites that have tutorials

http://www.echoecho.com/flash.htm
    http://www.actionscript.org
    http://www.baycongroup.com/flash/00_flash.htm
    http://www.umbc.edu/interactive/director/tutorials/
    http://www.were-here.com/homepage/featured.asp?zid=7
    http://www.sitepoint.com/subcat/95

~MD