A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Bitmaps / Gotoandplay / SWF size

Bitmaps / Gotoandplay / SWF size

Hi
    A few questions if anyone can help that would be great.

1) What is the recommanded size of a swf which would be viewed on a 56k modem? I am working on a flat HTML site but there is one flash page - what size should this page be? 35k, More, Less....

2) In my flash page I have a Map, which is a bitmap (gif). Do bitmaps add alot of weight to the final swf? Should I maybe trace it, save the trace as a seperate graphic and drop the bitmap outta the Library? What's the general rule with Bitmaps?

3) Finall the age old question of playing a basic movie clip by using a button. I usually lable the movieclip instance on stage the use this script on the button.

on (press) {gotoAndPlay("lable")
    }

However it's been a few months since I looked at Flash and this script has decided it ain't gonna work today. Can anyone tell me why this is not working.

Btw I am using Flash MX.

Ta,
    CC

1.Its more a question of how long do you want people to wait for the site to load ( on a modem its about 5 kb/second ). Its easier to find the right filesize when thinking in terms of time.

2. Save a version without the bitmap and one with it and youll see the difference right away ( it all depends on whats on the bitmap ( plain colors or text=gif, gradients or photographs=jpg ).

3. You have to target the movieclip with its name ( you are telling the main timeline to go to and play a framelabel).

If your movieclip is named lable...and you just want it to play...

on (press) {
    lable.play();
    }

-Pelle Piano
    // Image Gallery
    www.studiobild.com
    // Photo Blog
    http://talesofthepixel.blogspot.com