A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: length of a video?

length of a video?

Hi,

I'm working on a video application using FMX2004 and have a question.
    I've just updated the video components and exporter... and red this in the help:

"Video length information is included in encoded files; this information is automatically detected by the updated Media Components"

Does this mean that we can read out the length (time) of the video?
    If so, how?

If not, how the hell can we make decent streaming video if we don't know how much play-time we've loaded already?
    The standard media component fails on slower connections... and just starts playing afther a fixed amount of video is loaded.

We can calculate KB/sec, and estimated time to load the video.
    But if we don't know how much play-time is loaded, we can never make a streaming video that starts playing when "play_time >= estimated_load_time"

PJ

Re: length of a video?

Originally posted by e-phonic
    Hi,

I'm working on a video application using FMX2004 and have a question.
    I've just updated the video components and exporter... and red this in the help:

"Video length information is included in encoded files; this information is automatically detected by the updated Media Components"

Does this mean that we can read out the length (time) of the video?
    If so, how?

If not, how the hell can we make decent streaming video if we don't know how much play-time we've loaded already?
    The standard media component fails on slower connections... and just starts playing afther a fixed amount of video is loaded.

We can calculate KB/sec, and estimated time to load the video.
    But if we don't know how much play-time is loaded, we can never make a streaming video that starts playing when "play_time >= estimated_load_time"

PJ
    Sure. Create a Media object and give it the "FLV" path and source. Then use:
    Code:
    myMediaObject.totalTime
    If you know the total time and the myMediaObject.bytesTotal, then you can calculate the KB/sec.

Ah, now i get it.
    When exporting a from Flash, the 'totalTime' doesn't work.
    When exporting from i.e. QuickTime Pro, it works correctly.

Thanks,
    PJ